Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New To This And Thinking Of Buying A Rx350 Se

Hi all!

Well I'm new to Lexus having owned a Range Rover Sport and Freelander 2 (which has just been stolen!). I have seen an RX350 SE on an 06 plate having done 73,000 miles. They are asking £16,900 for it and really wanted to know what people thought. I have done some research and it looks like a good deal but what do you guys think?

Is there anything I need to know about the 350?

Any comments appreciated!

Many thanks B)

Sounds expensive to me for that age and mileage?

Just to put that into some perspective. In 2006 I bought a 3 year old RX300SE from Lexus Croydon with 30K miles on the clock in mint condition. I paid (then) £17K...and this was pre-recession.

Fast forward to today, granted your car is of a similar age but double the miles. We are in recession and fuel prices are heading up wards (and ever higher). Big engined petrol cars are in no way in demand at this time so to pay that kind of money in todays market...seems expensive to me! but we have a thread on here where someone paid £10K for an RX [from an independent dealer] that is worth maybe £6k tops. An adage about a fool and money being parted comes to mind...

I would see what people like webuyanycar.com are willing to offer you for that car - their prices are a whisker below trade, but will give you a realistic option of what the car is actually worth.

Of course I could be totally wrong ;)

The 350 is no different to the 300 it replaces (face lifted) but the engine is better suited to hauling such a large (and heavy) vehicle. They can be heavy on the brakes - but they are easily DIY service ables for you and therefore inexpensive. Running costs are inline with a 3.5L petrol V6 - fantastic cars IMHO but I'm not sure if it will be edgy and fast enough if you are used to a RR Sport.

When buying one of these basic rules apply, condition, service history, wear and tear etc. and if it has any of its 3 year warranty left. Also you would be well advised to ensure you have the two master keys (black ones) as a minimum. If you SEARCH the forum you will find threads on corrosion [on alloys and roof rails] as well as other minor niggles reported - but nothing to really worry about if the car has been looked after correctly.

Definite improvement on a Craplander though!

The 350 is no different to the 300 it replaces (face lifted) but the engine is better suited to hauling such a large (and heavy) vehicle. They can be heavy on the brakes - but they are easily DIY service ables for you and therefore inexpensive. Running costs are inline with a 3.5L petrol V6 - fantastic cars IMHO but I'm not sure if it will be edgy and fast enough if you are used to a RR Sport.

When buying one of these basic rules apply, condition, service history, wear and tear etc. and if it has any of its 3 year warranty left. Also you would be well advised to ensure you have the two master keys (black ones) as a minimum. If you SEARCH the forum you will find threads on corrosion [on alloys and roof rails] as well as other minor niggles reported - but nothing to really worry about if the car has been looked after correctly.

Definite improvement on a Craplander though!

This is the RX I was thinking of. It is in really good condition inside and our and has a Multimedia pack (!).

"Features: 73,057 miles Automatic Aleutian Grey Petrol Estate 3500 cc Full Description: Glossary of Terms

5 Doors, Automatic, Station Wagon, Petrol, 73,057 miles, Aleutian Grey Metallic, VGA Screen,6 DVD Changer With MP3/WMA Compatibility,DVD Navigation System With Dynamic Route Guidance,Bluetooth Connectivity,Mark Levinson Audio System, 11 Speakers,Vehicle Stability Control,Anti-Lock Braking System,Electronically Controlled Braking,Electronic Brakeforce Distribution,18 inch 5-Spoke Alloy Wheels,Cruise Control,Thorax Abdomen Pelvis Air Bag,Driver Knee Airbag,Separate Driver/Passenger Temperature Controls,Parking Assist Monitor,Automatic Gearbox,Anti-Theft System, Intrusion Sensor, Double Door Lock,Driver And Front Passenger 2-Stage Airbag,Automatic Climate Control Air Conditioning System,Multimedia Pack,Electric 8-Way Adjustable Front Seats With Lumbar Support,One-Touch Power Windows Front And Rear,ISOFIX Preparation 4WD. £16,995 Non VAT Qualifying "

I have managed to get them down from 16,995 to 16,000 but I guess this still seems a lot?

Sounds like you have your heart set on it!

The only other thing I will add is that the RX is scheduled a timing belt (+ tensioners and water pump) change at/on/about 100K miles. So don't forget to factor that into your costings...in this market there are plenty of low mileage, 1 owner examples that you can choose from and I feel you should not jump on the first RX you see.

These are not necessarily 'in demand' vehicles so you have plenty to choose from.

Whatever you decide ... good luck!

I bought my RX 350 SE-L two months ago from Lexus dealer. The asking price was 17,950 and it was dropped after negotiation. It has the multimedia pack, rear headrest buid in screens and 40k miles. Hope this info helps...

Sounds like you have your heart set on it!

The only other thing I will add is that the RX is scheduled a timing belt (+ tensioners and water pump) change at/on/about 100K miles. So don't forget to factor that into your costings...in this market there are plenty of low mileage, 1 owner examples that you can choose from and I feel you should not jump on the first RX you see.

These are not necessarily 'in demand' vehicles so you have plenty to choose from.

Whatever you decide ... good luck!

I knew the Lex IS had to have its water pump changed at the same time as the timing belt but didn't know the RX had to as well! Good job you told me - my RX is at 70k on a '04 plate so all this is coming up next year!

Bought a four year old RX300 recently with 45,000 miles, immaculate from a Lexus dealer with twelve month warranty for £11,750. Minus a thousand for an

old Volvo and an amazing amount of metal for the money. The deals are out there. I look at the fuel consumption overall as part of the deal.

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links