Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Short Air Intake

Alex-evita

hi guys!im new on this site,and first time i have a toyota car(altezza),my model is rs 200, im happy with a power but i like perfomance, so first my thought was to fit short air intake,i have cheked most sites for proper air intake,but all very expensive,over 300£ for rs 200 only.So i have made custom one.Fit it.start a car and oooopss!!!car wont working properly,rpm to LOW,and and rpm arrow jumping,after this problem i fit back original air box,but still want perfomance air intake.WHAT I HAVE DONE WRONG?Could u guys help me with it???(air intake on picture below!)

post-30485-1250836162.jpg

welcome to loc mate, just a guess as i dont know your engine setup but sounds like you've not conected the air flow sensor correctly, but that is just a guess.

thanks a lot,i dont know what to try else,sensor was fited(i think)correctly,same angle like in original air box,and had very good sealing, i don't know! i had mitsubishi galant and mirage,and i did custom air intakes without any problems(it's a easy)but 3s-ge difierent engineg so im very confused now! :crybaby:

The only thing you have done wrong is fit a pod filter. Plenty of people have tried it & have gone back to the standard air box. It has something to do with how the air flows over the MAF sensor. Mess this up & you'll have all sorts of problems. The 3SGE has a funny set up & is very sensitive. Looking at yours, you have the MAF sensor way to close to the filter & it will be getting very turbulent air passing over it. If you'd done a bit of research on dedicated Altezza forums you would have found this out already. You might also like to know that you'll make less power with a pod filter than the standard air box anyway. So get yourself a K&N or similar panel filter & be done with it. If you want a bit of induction noise at lower rpm, disconnect the vacuum hose to the flap in the front air intake. This flap is normally shut until about 4500rpm to suppress intake noise. Disconnecting it leaves the flap open all the time. (see attached pic)

p10108481rd0.th.jpg

While you've got the air box off you should give the MAF sensor & the throttle body a quick clean. This will improve your idle & throttle response.

The only thing you have done wrong is fit a pod filter. Plenty of people have tried it & have gone back to the standard air box. It has something to do with how the air flows over the MAF sensor. Mess this up & you'll have all sorts of problems. The 3SGE has a funny set up & is very sensitive. Looking at yours, you have the MAF sensor way to close to the filter & it will be getting very turbulent air passing over it. If you'd done a bit of research on dedicated Altezza forums you would have found this out already. You might also like to know that you'll make less power with a pod filter than the standard air box anyway. So get yourself a K&N or similar panel filter & be done with it. If you want a bit of induction noise at lower rpm, disconnect the vacuum hose to the flap in the front air intake. This flap is normally shut until about 4500rpm to suppress intake noise. Disconnecting it leaves the flap open all the time. (see attached pic)

p10108481rd0.th.jpg

While you've got the air box off you should give the MAF sensor & the throttle body a quick clean.

thanks a million!i have found lots info about pod filters,and 100% sure i will back to original box with apex panel filter,and about vacum hose,i'll try it !thanks a lot again!and sorry for bad english

personally i have an A'PEXi intake specially designed for the RS200 w/3s-ge, i have had it installed for a few months. when i did my timing belt and 100k maintenance i had an air problem, ended up being the MAF. got a new one, and everything seems to be fine so far. there is another intake, i can not for the life of me remember, that utilizes the vacuum lines; i ended up setting my OEM box, the vacuum system, and assoc parts aside. this may be one of those times that purchasing an engineered product for a few extra bucks may be worth the price. time will tell, and i will keep you posted. I am planning on putting a fujitsubo header and cat-back exhaust on the car the give the extra air (or unrestricted air?) coming in an easier way out. i can say that the sound is much more pleasant with the A'PEXi intake on it. Good luck with your tinkering, hope it works out for you.

• 14 years later...
On 9/1/2009 at 9:14 PM, griderjn said:

personally i have an A'PEXi intake specially designed for the RS200 w/3s-ge, i have had it installed for a few months. when i did my timing belt and 100k maintenance i had an air problem, ended up being the MAF. got a new one, and everything seems to be fine so far. there is another intake, i can not for the life of me remember, that utilizes the vacuum lines; i ended up setting my OEM box, the vacuum system, and assoc parts aside. this may be one of those times that purchasing an engineered product for a few extra bucks may be worth the price. time will tell, and i will keep you posted. I am planning on putting a fujitsubo header and cat-back exhaust on the car the give the extra air (or unrestricted air?) coming in an easier way out. i can say that the sound is much more pleasant with the A'PEXi intake on it. Good luck with your tinkering, hope it works out for you.

did you use the bar to block the maf sensor that shoulda come with the filter?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links