Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie With A Few Problems And Q's

Hope links are OK on this forum, but this is what I shall be buying and putting in after getting the thumbs up on it from the man himself.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60163-fuchs-ti...anese-cars.aspx

I will need 8.2 litres, is that about right ?

Still need the gaskets and filter though....mmmm, getting there ( slowly ) though !

Thanks again everyone for your tips, thoughts and guides etc !

Hope links are OK on this forum, but this is what I shall be buying and putting in after getting the thumbs up on it from the man himself.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60163-fuchs-ti...anese-cars.aspx

I will need 8.2 litres, is that about right ?

Still need the gaskets and filter though....mmmm, getting there ( slowly ) though !

Thanks again everyone for your tips, thoughts and guides etc !

Hi,

Looked at the oil you are getting and it seems OK. But it seems to be the same price as Toyota T4 at about £10 per litre. I don't really know why people are so adamant about using the T4 but because of all the hype on here and other forums that is the ONLY transmission fluid I would use in my lexus, and if the oil you are using is the same price then why not use the original?

There are some theories on here that using a different oil may cause foaming, and I have seen a few posts from the US where people blame using different oils for wrecking there gearbox! Maybe alot of it is old wives tales but...

By the way you will need at least 10 litres to flush and see totally clean fluid being pumped out. I used 10 but wished I had maybe another 2 as it still wasn't quite as clean coming out as going in.

I had a quick look for gaskets on the web but didn't find any on eBay and the obvious places. What about searching for Jap car parts suppliers?

"Capacity for a drain and refill is 2.0 quarts (1.9 liters). Note: Total transmission fluid capacity is 8.7 quarts (8.3 liters).", according to the lexLS.com. So for a flush too, a good 2 litres more is worth it, totaling ( as you say ) about 10 litres. Is that about right do you think ? I just want to double check before ordering as I'm going to get the engine oil as well with the order.

I will try my supplier this time round as I don't think my LS will last many more years, so may as well experiment now with this one, so I get it right for the next one I get. And price-wise.....is a lot no matter what I guess...but, I get a discount and it saves me fuel by having it delivered, so for the sake of being lazy as well :-) I will go for the Fuchs 4400.

What about engine oil capacity for a complete drain and refill inc. filter ? Again, lexLS.com says " Dry fill 6.0 liters (6.3 US qts, 5.3 Imp. qts)" or roughly 5.3 litres for a filter change and drain/refill. Is that about right ?

As I say, just double checking due to the costs involved I don't want to drastically over buy and certainly I don't want to underbuy.

I hope the Trans oil change ( with filter if I can get the part ) will help, as the changes are not right. Sometimes slow or jumpy. But its a job worth doing anyway. I can just imagine being able to fill a bath tub after with all the old oil from the engine and transmission ( and at this rate, may as well do diff oil too ) :)

Thanks again for the time taken to provide insight and ideas etc. Really is appreciated !

I've just done my Transmission fluid this week £88.00 for 10 litres from Lexus but after seeing the old oil after just 60,000 miles I'm glad I did.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=63993

Here's a useful site for part numbers and exploded views

www.toyodiy.com

Thanks for the useful link ! I will start my rounds of calls and emails to track down the parts I need.

I've totaled up a cost of £150 for 6 litres of quality engine oil, 10 litres of ATF and 2 litres of decent diff oil.

Coolant seems to have settled, certainly its a lot better. It has gone down a tiny bit, but certainly not a concerning amount draining away which is a relief.

But, today, I just took the wheels off for the first time, ( bought the car last friday ), heres what I have found:

- A heat shield under/by the rear silencer half off, of course when trying to tighten the bolts up they just softly broke, so I ripped the shield off for now.

- Rear pads are right down

- Front tyre is worn badly on the inside, and understandably so as.......

- ...... the track-rod end is more loose than my ex-wife.

- I replaced any relevant fuses, had the car running for 15 mins with all switches on, but still none of the seat heaters work - not one ???

But I was surprised that the ball joints or bushes were not really bad on the passenger side, as thats where I thought the mild knocking and scary as hell lack of steering at higher speed cornering was coming from. Seems its the drivers side track rod end thats the culprit so far. Though, I didn't check everything thoroughly, I need ramps for that I think.

So at the moment, for a £600 car I need:

-a track-rod end,

-rear pads,

-a tyre,

-an exhaust gasket,

-heated seats fixing,

-a side light lens,

-and the clock and speedo display's sorted out.

-oils, and auto box gasket kit too of course. So another 400-500 maybe.

Welcome to the foruma nd Lexus driving. Sounds like you have your work cut out but the LS400 isnt difficult to work on.

Re exhaust/ Cat gaskets, they are £4.11 each. if you have a toyota dealer but no lexus dealer near by, order them through the toyota dealer. Thats what i do. My local Lexus dealer is 80 mile away. My temperature and clock display doesnt work either. I take the view that i have a watch and i know when im warm enough.. The heated seats can take a while to warm up. at least they do no mine but they do work.

I hope you stay with Lexus. They are great cars and the forum is brilliant.

I inherited a 1977 one owner 42,000 mile Honda Accord some months ago and posted it as Free to Good Home on the Honda owners site. Not 1 response.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links