Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Top Gear

mudzs

Had a new SC430 last Friday to Sunday when my LS was in for some work. Took it up to Alton Towers staying overnight. Top gear are right about some things but:-

There's still room for golf clubs in the boot even with the roof down - we had overnight bags etc.

There is room in back - my daughter (a large 9 year old) was fine and on the way back my wife (5'8") tried it. Wife said it was very comfortable once you've got used to the very upright position and she said it needed an arm rest in the middle.

Yes the engine and everythings great but some little things - like the lack of rear arm rest but also if every time you put the roof up and down the windows go down why isn't the passenger window an auto switch.

However top gear were right about the chassis - it's C.. very bad. Awful understeer and no feel and with the roof down the scuttle shake is bad. It's niether one thing or another. Accept its no Porsche but it's no boulevarde cruiser either - unless its very very smooth. All in all a nicer car than my wife's Saab cabrio but the ride etc is the same and I don't fancy paying twice the money.

Come on Lexus you could do better.

JMRussell

Your comments mirror Auto Express's brief test of 2 June (below). However, would you pay 20K more for an SL500, bearing in mind the quality problems with many current Mercedes?

Lexus SC430

4.3 Convertible 2 dr, £50850

Lexus took a long time to introduce a flagship roadster model to its impressive range so when the SC430 arrived great things were expected from it. Powered by the super-smooth 4.3-litre V8, that also propels the LS and GS luxury saloons, mated to the slick automatic transmission of the latter car the SC430 looked like an enticing proposition. The build quality was up to the usual Lexus high standard and the folding hardtop gave it an undeniable edge over canvas roofed rivals like the Jaguar XK8 cabriolet and Porsche's drop-top 911. However, it never quite met our expectations on the road. The body control was sloppy, the SC430 never feeling particularly agile on a challenging route - the slow, lifeless steering not helping. The ride suffered from super stiff run flat tyres, highlighting the surprising lack of rigidity in the car with the roof down.

To address these criticisms Lexus has ditched the run flat system - a get-you-home sealant spray is now included instead - while the suspension has been retuned to improve the handling. The changes make an improvement in the ride, though the SC430 still isn't anywhere as entertaining a drive as its rivals. It's a popular model though, the appeal of that Lexus badge and the impressive standard specification is enough to keep sales high enough to result in a lengthy waiting list. The styling may not be to everybody's tastes the build quality is certainly something to behold. The folding hardtop is a delight to use, and quick, though it robs the boot of a huge amount of space. Similarly, the rear seats are a bit of an afterthought, being of no use at all to passengers. Its chassis may be more suited to straight American boulevards than our sinuous roads but that hasn't stopped it winning sales - it's just a shame it's not such a winner on the road.

+ Fantastic build, great engine, automatic gearbox

- Questionable styling, poor packaging, no driver's car

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else read last week's Sunday Times.

The "wonderful" Mr Clarkson not only had to admit that his £90,000 SL55 was far from reliable and was causing him all sorts of problems, but also that amongst the sackloads of complaints he receives weekly many of them come from Merc. owners.

Maybe he should have bought the SC 430 and if it's like mine he would never have cause to complain.

Great cars are about being able to live with them 24/7 and not having them sit at the dealers waiting for repair

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links