Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission Fluid Change

With 100,000 KMs now achieved I have been meaning to do a transmission fluid change for some while now, it just annoyed me that in the USA I could buy 12 quarts of Toyota Type IV for a mere £26.00 but over here it has cost me £88.00 for 10 litres of the stuff and that was with a 10% discount from Sean at Lexus Derby.

Anyway no good crying £88.00 compared with a duff transmission is peanuts so I bought the stuff and commenced the operation.

I was going to do the flush as described on Lexls but then decided to do the sump pan drain and refill method therefore draining around 2 litres then refilling repeatedly.

Up on the axle stands and armed with a 14mm ring and a suitable drain container I released then removed the bolt.

As the old oil stream came out it did look a nice cherry red which at this point made me think "has this been done before I bought the car" ( being an import I had no service history dispite making many enquiries).

However once I had poured it into an old plastic pop bottle to measure it accurately I was convinced that it was original as it was nearly black in colour!

I think left much longer I would have had serious problems.

So if anyone is "thinking" about this job DO IT! I was lucky to get away with mine but it does show the tolerance of the Lexus transmission to put up with old fluid in this state.

I had no noticeable problems with the transmission with the fluid in this state it was still as smooth as silk.

Just so you can gasp below is a picture showing the difference.

Untitled_0022_0001.jpg

Does the misses know that you have used her pyrex jug to do an gearbox oil change? lol!

Top job- well done, mate.

No she's at work at the moment I'd better wash it well or she will suspect something if her morning poridge tastes funny :whistling:

Does the misses know that you have used her pyrex jug to do an gearbox oil change? lol!

Top job- well done, mate.

Thats exactly what i spotted too.......i guess we all know that earbashing when you do things like that.........

Was the job easy steve? How long did it take you

I need to do it myself, only got the one 5l fluid at mo so might well be after xmas now.

I've read about a few dramas with other people, whats the black stuff you need to seal the sump pan with?

Not doing the filter at the moment as apparently it is a 100,000-150,000 mile replacement so no sump removal required just drain and refill 5 times to replace the majority of the fluid.

There is however very bad news....

Other half decided to make some custard tonight ( very rare occurance and very ill timed) of course not having done all the changes yet the measuring jug is still in the garage and I had to confess, why couldn't we have a strawberry and chocolate muffin like last night I don't know!!!! anyway I need to wash my hair now to get the banana and custard out.

Not doing the filter at the moment as apparently it is a 100,000-150,000 mile replacement so no sump removal required just drain and refill 5 times to replace the majority of the fluid.

There is however very bad news....

Other half decided to make some custard tonight ( very rare occurance and very ill timed) of course not having done all the changes yet the measuring jug is still in the garage and I had to confess, why couldn't we have a strawberry and chocolate muffin like last night I don't know!!!! anyway I need to wash my hair now to get the banana and custard out.

As a note guys. I would advise you do this as this is not a standard service item. If like me you dont do your gearbox will die studdenly and it will cost you £000 to get a new one as second hand ones are imposible to fine.

This reminds me of something that happened long long ago. My dad did a lot of cycle racing in the 1950s.

When i was about 14 and getting into cycling in a serious way he showed me how to grease a Block properly. The Block is the cogs on the rear wheel. In them there olden times (1970s) there were only 5 cogs on a block. This is how WE did it.

1. Remove and clean the Block with clean rag to get the old grease and dirt off it.

2. get an old baked bean tin and heat up some new grease until its runny. (best done on mums cooker)

3. place cleaned block on a suitable container. (This is so you can pure the molten grease into the bloke) We used my mums best tupperware mixing bowl. It was the right size!!

4. pure grease into block and allow to cool. The new grease will now be inside the bearings of the block.

5. re-assemble the bike. Its now ready for another year.

6. dont bother trying to clean the inside of the best tupperware mixing bowl. Molten grease doesnt come off. Really!

7. RUN AND HIDE. Dont know why, but mum wasnt best please.

Youd think that shed be proud that dad and me had made such a good job of it......Women!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links