Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx In Tthe Snow

Very pleased with my RX 300 in the snow, still need to take care but the car was very assured.

Here's a question for you though: A mate of mine is considering an RX, probably a 300 but maybe a 350 or a 400h. At our local Lexus dealership, i.e. Cardiff, he was told by a Lexus salesman, and I quote that "the 400h is not good in snowy conditions as it is only 2 wheel drive, with power going only to the front OR the back wheels at any one time"

I've told him that I believe that to be a load of rubbish, that the 400h is a "smart" 4 wheel drive. When moving off the vehicle is powered by the front and back electric motors to all 4 wheels, then as speed bulids the fwd petrol engine kicks in on its own until such time as 4wd drive is needed and the electric motors then make the vehicle 4wd. Am I right or wrong?

You are right. It is normally 2WD but 4WD on demand. In normal conditions, the rear wheels are sent power to assist with acceleration such as setting off from a standing start, or booting it hard on the motorway. All wheels can also be called upon when there is a lack of grip such as in snow conditions.

Very pleased with my RX 300 in the snow, still need to take care but the car was very assured.

Here's a question for you though: A mate of mine is considering an RX, probably a 300 but maybe a 350 or a 400h. At our local Lexus dealership, i.e. Cardiff, he was told by a Lexus salesman, and I quote that "the 400h is not good in snowy conditions as it is only 2 wheel drive, with power going only to the front OR the back wheels at any one time"

I've told him that I believe that to be a load of rubbish, that the 400h is a "smart" 4 wheel drive. When moving off the vehicle is powered by the front and back electric motors to all 4 wheels, then as speed bulids the fwd petrol engine kicks in on its own until such time as 4wd drive is needed and the electric motors then make the vehicle 4wd. Am I right or wrong?

Agree with you totally, I live on a side street with a hill, sheet ice everywhere; everything was getting stuck in the snow so much so that I could not help them all. However when a tow truck with a car on a trailer got stuck I could not resist the challenge! Hooked up my 400h and dragged the whole combo up the road and onto flat ground, no probs. The car is fantastic!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got to agree.....my 300 was superb in the snow in South West Wales......only downside was no excuse to not get into work ;) lol

hi guys, bit late i know but i have to agree, my 2004 rx300 was fantastic, we live at the bottom of a steep hill, solid ice before christmas, tires make a lot of difference too, i am running general grabber uhp's all roung, 235/55-18, these are all seasons tires instead of the crapy bridgestone summer tires (oem), pulled my g/f's is300 from half way up the hill and then went down for a 3 series bmw and nextdoors vauxhall zafira which i told them to leave in nutral(traction light did cut in a couple of times with this lol), i was the only 1 who could get up and down for 2 days, in the snow the car behaved very well, never had any problems anywhere, very sure footed, i would recommend good all season tires tho, makes a world of difference

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links