Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best Gear For Snow? Auto Transmission

My gs300 keeps getting stuck if i park it up! Snowed like crazy in Manchester, and it isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

Now i drive in d-4 i think its called, when i get stuck, just releasing the brakes will spin the wheels lol.

What gear do you lot drive in the snow with?

As for the etc/snow button, its just a light lol, no use at all.

My gs300 keeps getting stuck if i park it up! Snowed like crazy in Manchester, and it isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

Now i drive in d-4 i think its called, when i get stuck, just releasing the brakes will spin the wheels lol.

Im afraid when the snow is that bad theres not that much that you can do , these are the problems you encompass with big engine rear wheeled cars in snow.

Hi, first of all you can not overcome the laws of physics!.............A rear wheel drive car is never going to be much good in the current conditions most of us are in at the moment!.....Tyres are a major factor here, nothing you can do about it though, unless you buy snow tyres or chains!

Use the Snow button while in snow & ice (it will, via the ECU, slow your throttle openings so you can not accelerate so quickly through the gears and you will be pulling away in 2nd gear) Switch the VSC 'OFF' this will stop your traction control from getting all sorts of differing signals your final drive is getting from the road surface, i.e it will keep your rear wheels turning even if they are losing traction!....Keep the gear in 'D' for drive.

Thats it, other than drive to the best of your ability & apply more common sense than brakes !!!..................."Slow, Slow, Slow if you want it to go" !...but you have to keep your momentum if your climbing inclines !!!!!!....it's a fine balance!

Alternatively, go and and spend a grand on a cheap mitsubishi Pajero like i did last week!...works wonders in the snow!

Good luck.

Hi, first of all you can not overcome the laws of physics!.............A rear wheel drive car is never going to be much good in the current conditions most of us are in at the moment!.....Tyres are a major factor here, nothing you can do about it though, unless you buy snow tyres or chains!

Use the Snow button while in snow & ice (it will, via the ECU, slow your throttle openings so you can not accelerate so quickly through the gears and you will be pulling away in 2nd gear) Switch the VSC 'OFF' this will stop your traction control from getting all sorts of differing signals your final drive is getting from the road surface, i.e it will keep your rear wheels turning even if they are losing traction!....Keep the gear in 'D' for drive.

Thats it, other than drive to the best of your ability & apply more common sense than brakes !!!..................."Slow, Slow, Slow if you want it to go" !...but you have to keep your momentum if your climbing inclines !!!!!!....it's a fine balance!

Alternatively, go and and spend a grand on a cheap mitsubishi Pajero like i did last week!...works wonders in the snow!

Good luck.

Oh i see, thought it was just a useless button lol. 4x4's are showing off in the snow! see them driving with grins. I think tyre pressures may help slightly? Off too google it.

Got to say I really miss a handbrake in my GS, when the IS won't turn in a bit of handbrake works wonders but can't do this with pedal operated parking brake, but the weight of the traction Battery pack over the rear axle does help to move on ice. So cant decide which is best to use. Wish I could stay at home till it all goes away !

Tony

Got to say I really miss a handbrake in my GS, when the IS won't turn in a bit of handbrake works wonders but can't do this with pedal operated parking brake, but the weight of the traction Battery pack over the rear axle does help to move on ice. So cant decide which is best to use. Wish I could stay at home till it all goes away !

Tony

Yer, handbrake turns are pants in a GS.

But, living in Scotland most of my life, and living with this snow since before Christmas, I'm used to the fun of sliding the back end for fun and recovering from it. Bloody annoying that the dashboard lights up like a fruit machine though - it distracts me.

Anyway, its slippery, you're not invincible, accelerate slowly, indicate early, don't use the brakes. If you brake and slide, take your hoof off the brake to let the wheels know what they're supposed to be doing. Oh, and drop into neutral just when you're about to stop and it takes the forward creep off and you stop sooner.

• 2 months later...

I found that rear wheel driven cars are better in the snow than the front wheel driven ones. We get a lot of snow in Canada and what is important is the proper tires. The 4x4 does not help much if the tires are no good. A good set of winter tires and then you put a bit of ballast in the boot and there you go. All you have to do is point your front end and the car will push it in the direction you want to go.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links