Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get into my 1st lexus this weekend, a 55 plate gs 300 se-l.

I went to view the car yesterday and I have a few questions that if peep's dont mind they could give anwers/opinions too.

1) I've heard lexus are whisper quite when on idle, I could still hear the car inside, I even commented that i could hear a faint tick tick noice in the background, not sure if this was the AC or the engine, could you try and describe the level and sound from your car.

2)The steering initiallu felt very light, and on accasion even felt like it had disconnected, does the car have on/off power steering pump to assist?

3) the car visually looked fine and drove very nicely, but what other checks should a soon to be new owner look for, there's not a lot to look around the engine bay at etc?

4) the leather was very clean, the base was fine but the bolster on the exit side of each seat was cracked, i presume from not being conditioned over the years, is this normal and any recommendations to bring it bcak to life

5) it has the ML system , were are the DVD sat nav discs held ?

6) Realiability doesnt seem to be a issue very few google hits, any known issues or recalls?

7) I am quite a hand's on guy and make most mechanical repars myself, do other's also get dirty with there cars or leave it upto the dealer, what's the lexus etiquette?

6) and finally is there anywhere that I can download the brouchure for the model when it started production?

many thanks and I hope to be a a valuable contributor to this forum over the years.

Hi All,

I went to view the car yesterday and I have a few questions that if peep's dont mind they could give anwers/opinions too.

1) I've heard lexus are whisper quite when on idle, I could still hear the car inside, I even commented that i could hear a faint tick tick noice in the background, not sure if this was the AC or the engine, could you try and describe the level and sound from your car.

2)The steering initiallu felt very light, and on accasion even felt like it had disconnected, does the car have on/off power steering pump to assist?

3) the car visually looked fine and drove very nicely, but what other checks should a soon to be new owner look for, there's not a lot to look around the engine bay at etc?

4) the leather was very clean, the base was fine but the bolster on the exit side of each seat was cracked, i presume from not being conditioned over the years, is this normal and any recommendations to bring it bcak to life

6) Realiability doesnt seem to be a issue very few google hits, any known issues or recalls?

7) I am quite a hand's on guy and make most mechanical repars myself, do other's also get dirty with there cars or leave it upto the dealer, what's the lexus etiquette?

6) and finally is there anywhere that I can download the brouchure for the model when it started production?

many thanks and I hope to be a a valuable contributor to this forum over the years.

Hi and welcome, great choice for your 1st Lexus,

that tick may be the injector nozzles, does it rise with RPM ?

Steering, I think is rubbish on every GS I have owned or driven, they follow the tramlines on motorways and every road repair but that is just the way they are, every time I drive my Sportcross after the GS it feels really good.

Hi All,

Steering, I think is rubbish on every GS I have owned or driven, they follow the tramlines on motorways and every road repair but that is just the way they are, every time I drive my Sportcross after the GS it feels really good.

Hi All,

Sorry hit the wrong button

I dont thing the leather is a problem, some conditioner will help

6 CD are held in the head unit, on the IS range these players are near usless so make sure it loads and plays before buying the car

My Gs hybrid was subject to a recall for steering rack and rear brakes, would pay to ask if this one was subject and if so was it completed

Dont know about a download but brouchures are usually available on e bay for a couple of quid.

Let us know how it goes please

Hi All,

Hello.

I've owned my GS for a year now and it is a lovely car. I still enjoy driving it and driving to work is calming. I do 500 miles up and down the motorway and economy hovers around 38-39 mpg. This is taking it easy, 70 mph and being predictive. I see diesel Mondeos' fly past at 80-90 and I probably get more MPG then they do. If in a hurry though the engine is a dream, this engine coupled with a beautiful gearbox there's no better place to be!

1) My Lexus is very quiet, no ticking noises.

2) The steering is fine too. What are the tyre pressures on the car you drove, they may need adjusting. I find the steering as it should be.

3) Just take your time and check for stone chips and the alloy wheels for curb damage or blistering.

4) It does sound like the seats have not been conditioned. My seats are like new, I do condition often though. The marks you see could be ingrained dirt.

5) The DVD is in the glove box. Are you buying from a Lexus dealer? Negotiate for the latest DVD this will allow destination input while on the move, a godsend!

6) Safety recalls were to the rear brake callipers and steering rack. Make sure your car has been seen or not effected. More worryingly is for the ECU to give 'Check VSC' messages. This happened to my car. I needed a new ECU and 2 O2 sensors, £3003. This has happend to a few people on this site and seems to be effecting cars up to 2006 models. Again check what work has been done and get a warranty, Lexus or Warranty direct.

7) I choose to service through Lexus.

8) I'm not sure about this. I asked Lexus to send me one and they did. Maybe they still have a brochure for the GS300

I hope that this helps!

Hi Guys,

thanks for a great set or replies :)

I am buying it through an independant dealership, that got that car from a mercedes garage as a p-ex, well thats the story anyway.

I rang the lexus dealer that had done all the servcing today to check the history.

They did mention that it had , had the rack changed and a sticking rear caliper, nothing on the ECU or oxygen sensors.

The car does have stone chips and little scuff , that i'll get chips away to sort out, i guess some of the saving from not buying at lexus dealership is spent straight awau fixing little scuffs etc.

When speaking to Lexus, i enquired about a touch up stick , and was told that for my colour it is no longer availble, which i found quite strange for a car that still manuafctured and only 5 years old.

The ticking noise was only at initial idle and disappeared whilst driving and was not actually there when the test drive was over.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links