Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smoke

Hi all.

I used my car on a 70 mile motorway run at the weekend and when I returned home I noticed smoke coming from the rear wheels. It smelled a little like clutch but there was no smoke from the front. The brake disks were only warm so don't think a caliper had seized up. Any ideas what I should check for? Not had a chance to get under the car yet to have a look. Thanks for any help.

Is it definately smoke?

I a bit of steam coming of my car from underneath the other day when it was raining really heavy. There was that much water about that it was getting onto the exhaust which was then buring it of turning it into steam.

Hi , If it is smoke and a smell like clutch/brake linings it is probably the brakes; if its not the caliper it could be the hand brake the shoes are inside a small drum integral with the disc .The cable may have seized or the shoes rubbing . jack each wheel up and check it all turns freely .If you do decide to remove a disc don't forget to back off the shoe adjustment before you start it makes it much easier.

Thanks True Blue, that would make sense. Will get the car jacked up when I get home before dark! The hand brake doesn't work great so probably worth changing the shoes anyway if this is the problem. So am I correct in thinking the hand brake system works independently from the foot brake? That would explain why the disks were not getting hot.

Hi, yes the hand brake arrangement is independent 2 small shoes work inside the drum; all will be revealed when you take a drum off.Remove the small rubber plug from the access hole in the disc; turn it to the bottom and release the adjustment with a small screw driver ,you will need a torch to see inside through the hole,bit fiddly but not difficult

Cheers Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links