Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Key Grrrr

Deckz

• 3 months later...

There is a huge amount of helpful info about keys on this formu - thanks. Big thanks also to the ever helpful Jay who supplies genuine two-button transponders which are straightforward to program.

Since I only received one key with the car I decided to get spares. Having read about some people trying several key cutting shops before hitting a winner, I bought five blank metal blades from US via eBay and all arrived fine. The two-button transponders fit into the empty three button case.

But before I got a new blade cut, the original key broke. The blade came away from the plastic case while trying to turn the barrel of the boot lock. I suspect the boot lock gets least used (I usually use the drivers lever to open the boot) so it was a bit hard to turn and the metal part of the key snapped the plastic case near the screw.

I managed to start the car by using a pair of pliers to hold the metal blade and turn it in the ignition. I soon worked out I also had to hold the transponder near the blade in the ignition or else it wouldn't start. Initially I had to use the un-immobilise sequence - everyone out of the car...lock with transponder.. lock again with transponder....unlock...turn key WITH TRANSPONDER NEARBY. Now I always hold the transponder near the key blade when starting and it works.

NOW I am trying to find someone to cut the blank blades I bought. I tried Hemel Timpsons but they won't touch a key off eBay. Can anyone suggest a key cutter in Herts/Beds/Bucks or even London who will definately cut a customer-supplied blade, so I can get these blanks cut? I'm not after a locksmith who will provide a blank and cut it, but someone to cut the blanks I already have. Might even be worth starting a log of known key cutters by location since this sort of question keeps popping up.

i got a few from differing sources-the only problem i had was with a stupid locksmith who got halfway into one key before discovering his tracer bit was too big for the oem key,,, just try a few locksmiths,dont say your key is from eBay as they use it as an excuse imo - when you find a locky that does it ok get a couple of spares cut by the same guy

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links