Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Problem With Child Locks Is300 / Is200

Can anybody suggest a way to modify the child locks on the rear doors so that they are child proof, on the wifes vauxhall they are like a big slot headed screw that the key fits and turns on or off, on my IS300 they are just a switch that you flick by hand unfortunatly so does my 3 year old now he has discovered this is what stops his door opening form the inside.

This has made the car very dangerous as my 3 year old appears to be in control of wether the child lock is on or not, however the wifes Corsa costing a third of the price is completly safe.

At best i am heading for a damaged door, worse does not bear thinking about.

Regards

Russell.

May sound a daft idea but could you not just put a sticker over the switch to hide it? As the saying goes "out of sight, out of mind". At least that way its not a permanent fixture and if you wanted to access it you could easily. Also if your littlun did attempt to flick the switch then you would physically be able to see. Hope that helps.

Can anybody suggest a way to modify the child locks on the rear doors so that they are child proof, on the wifes vauxhall they are like a big slot headed screw that the key fits and turns on or off, on my IS300 they are just a switch that you flick by hand unfortunatly so does my 3 year old now he has discovered this is what stops his door opening form the inside.

This has made the car very dangerous as my 3 year old appears to be in control of wether the child lock is on or not, however the wifes Corsa costing a third of the price is completly safe.

At best i am heading for a damaged door, worse does not bear thinking about.

Regards

Russell.

I agree that the lever could be a bit more child-proof. As an eventually removeable do-it-yourself solution, you could use a piece of thin plastic (maybe cut from a washing-up liquid container etc) with a hole for the lever to poke through, stuck on with double-sided tape and positioned to fix it in the locked position.

As a more radical idea, and one that will prove really useful in the years to come, help keep him safe from everyday dangers and prevent him becoming a pest:- Make your child do what he is told. Then when you tell him to leave it alone - he will. :tomato:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links