Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Lexus IS220 which was written off in March 2006 is a high speed crash into the back of a lorry when the breaks failed has just been recalled by Toyota - For accelerator pedal modifications. Any comments?

If your car was written off in 2006 how can it be recalled, surely it was scrapped.

My Lexus IS220 which was written off in March 2006 is a high speed crash into the back of a lorry when the breaks failed has just been recalled by Toyota - For accelerator pedal modifications. Any comments?

Yes.

You must be relieved you were driving a car with so many safety features enabling you still to be here to make this posting.

I think you should speak to citizens advice or a Lawyer and see what their stance is.

If it can be proven that it was down to a failure recall and you havent already sought financial recompense, then you might have a case....im assuming this is the "thought" you were after. But as above....you should be happy you are alive :D

Answering your replies: tha car was scrapped but then shipped over to Ireland?! However the car is as far as Lexus are conerned in their database for recalls etc. I am big Lexus fan and have had a Lexus for over 10 years but I find it a bit strange that the Lexus brand has bnot been included within the recalls. There are a lot of common parts. The problem seems more computer based than accelerator being foulded by mats or pedals sticking on brand new cars. I wrote to Lexus GB 2 weeks ago and they stated that no Lexus was affected by the recall.

But this is simply not true. I have checked the Toyota web site and Lexus is not listed as being affected.

Has anybody else had a recall letter?

Answering your replies: tha car was scrapped but then shipped over to Ireland?! However the car is as far as Lexus are conerned in their database for recalls etc. I am big Lexus fan and have had a Lexus for over 10 years but I find it a bit strange that the Lexus brand has bnot been included within the recalls. There are a lot of common parts. The problem seems more computer based than accelerator being foulded by mats or pedals sticking on brand new cars. I wrote to Lexus GB 2 weeks ago and they stated that no Lexus was affected by the recall.

But this is simply not true. I have checked the Toyota web site and Lexus is not listed as being affected.

hi my wife has a 06 is220d which has been back to lexus about 10 times for the brakes making a clicking noise, can you tell what the fault was which caused the brakes to fail

My first IS250 had total brake failure, caused by failure of the master cylinder. It was meant to have gone back to Japan for inspection but I never heard anymore. Funny thing there was no fluid in it and no sign of a leak anywhere ............

Shipped over to Ireland .....do you know why ???? It would be nice to know the VIN so that no one ends up with it !!!!! after a cut and shut or somthing like that...have you some details for the forum....

Shipped over to Ireland .....do you know why ???? It would be nice to know the VIN so that no one ends up with it !!!!! after a cut and shut or somthing like that...have you some details for the forum....

I know it was shipped to Ireland as I had a letter from the new owner asking for a spare key. I have no idea how he got my address or how th ecar was rebuilt. Car is windosr blue 220d.

Can you please post the full contents of this letter so we can all see exactly what it says as there is no recall for any UK Lexus models concerning the accelerator pedal, ( which is a mechanical mod, not software mod, on the affected UK Toyota cars).

Can you please post the full contents of this letter so we can all see exactly what it says as there is no recall for any UK Lexus models concerning the accelerator pedal, ( which is a mechanical mod, not software mod, on the affected UK Toyota cars).

I believe that the Accelerator problem on some Toyota's is down to a bit of Plastic wearing away on certain types of pedal mechanisms. They add some metal in there as part of the fix and possibly a new pedal assembly if deemed needed......But. The Brake issue on Prius is a software mod (?), as presumably the Hybrids have fly by wire (cableless) technology?

The 2 problems are very different.

I seem to recall at least one IS owner has complained on here that their mat was stuck under the pedal a year or 2 ago. So I think there are up to 3 problems? Does any one else know?

EDIT : Mat Recall on this Forum

Any update on this?

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting. Are you saying that Lexus, believing that you still own the car, wrote to you and asked you to bring the car in for an accellerator fix? Even if this is the case, and your car was written off, then any evidence that Lexus were responsible for the crash was written off on the same day. If you find the new owner, and discover that the accellerator was not modified during what sounds like an illegal rebuild, you would find it hard to make a case proving that the Lexus was responsible for the crash. Whatever else, it is horrifying that a car that was involved in a high speed crash and written off in the UK should end up in Ireland, probably in the hands of someone who does not know its history. The car is now deadly - safety systems designed to work once will probably not work on the rebuild, and the driver and his passengers cannot rely on the usual safety of the IS if they are unfortunate enough to crash it over there.

On one of my regular services, Lexus gave me new mats, but did not tell me why (there must have been an issue with mats on some 2006 IS cars), but I did not complain!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links