Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Commuting To Work

A tough one ? perhaps?

basically i usually commute to one place of work (no problem with that )

But just recently ive been asked several times to commute between 2 places of work, in works time ie while being paid. I very much doubt the legality of this in my own car.

Ive tried googling this for a solution, but get nothing relative.

Just wondered if anyone else has been in my situation, and can point me in the right direction for advice ?

It's perfectly legal to do it, but it is what is known as 'business use' for the purposes of insurance - make sure yours has this. It is not 'commuting', what you are describing is 'business travel'. The mere fact it occurs during paid time as part of your working day is enough to determine that usage category on it's own. You must tell your insurance company, and they will expect an extra premium although this is unlikely to be very expensive. Mine is about £20 a year more to include class 1 business on the Lex, and roughly the same on my motorbike premiums. You will only need class 1 unless you regularly carry equipment on behalf of the company, eg goods delivery to customers.

You should also make sure your company pays you a mileage allowance (maximum 40p a mile for up to 10,000 miles a year), and if they won't pay you that much, talk to HMRC about reclaiming the difference from them, though that will involve paperwork...

It's perfectly legal to do it, but it is what is known as 'business use' for the purposes of insurance - make sure yours has this. It is not 'commuting', what you are describing is 'business travel'. The mere fact it occurs during paid time as part of your working day is enough to determine that usage category on it's own. You must tell your insurance company, and they will expect an extra premium although this is unlikely to be very expensive. Mine is about £20 a year more to include class 1 business on the Lex, and roughly the same on my motorbike premiums. You will only need class 1 unless you regularly carry equipment on behalf of the company, eg goods delivery to customers.

You should also make sure your company pays you a mileage allowance (maximum 40p a mile for up to 10,000 miles a year), and if they won't pay you that much, talk to HMRC about reclaiming the difference from them, though that will involve paperwork...

Thanks very much Mike, think im going to be making several phone calls and sending several emails tommorrow. not to mention a back date on the mileage allowance im owed. you've been a big help. thanks again

Most insurance policies will state re commuting "to your permanent place of work" so if your company sends you to a different place of work from usual it is then classed, as stated previously, as business use

When you say you have been "asked" by your employer to travel between sites, I assume you mean "told", in reality. Just imagine what would have happened if you had been involved in an accident which involved a police prosecution and huge third party damages. Would your employer then claim you "volunteered".

I would "ask" the employer to pay for taxis until the matter has been properly sorted.

I used to use my car for work purposes a few years and (I use to pay extra for business mileage on my insurance out of my own pocket). As my preimums kept rising (for no reason), I asked my employer to pay for me to have business cover on my insurance policy, they flaty refused, so I now ask work to provide me with a hire car now if I need to travel to other work offices- the hire car is covered under my employers group/car policy.

I'm happy with this arrangement, as it saves mileage on my IS200 and I also get to drive all sorts of different cars.

OP: If you employer wants you to travel to other offices can you not ask your employer to supply a hire car or a car out of pool?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links