Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is200 Changing To 2Nd And 3Rd?

Jonny D

Hi guys, you have probably heard enough of these questions and im sorry, but yesterday I brought an IS200 SE (very nice) 2001, 30k on the clock Full Lexus Service.

Well I noticed earlier that when i change from 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd it makes a kind of 'thudding' noise coming from the back of the car at first i thought it was a bump in the road when my back wheels went over it but realised i was doing it when i changed gear, the only thing that is throwing me off is that the noise is not all the time it happens in around 4-8 changes then stops. I figured to ask now before my 6 month warranty runs out.

Its confusing the hell out of me... is this normal it doesnt seem to be, this may be the most stupid question asked on here but ive never had a RWD before.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank You Jon.

I have read on and found that loads of people got the same im soooooo glad its not a problem thanks guys :D.

if you have any doubts about the car at this early stage i would suggest you check its service history and see when the diff oil etc was last changed - if in doubt claim under warranty to have the work done or get it checked by a main dealer at least - also you dont say if your car is auto or manual - if its auto i would think you have a problem there as the smoothness and imperceptibility of gearchanges are one of the highlights of lexus autos

if you have any doubts about the car at this early stage i would suggest you check its service history and see when the diff oil etc was last changed - if in doubt claim under warranty to have the work done or get it checked by a main dealer at least - also you dont say if your car is auto or manual - if its auto i would think you have a problem there as the smoothness and imperceptibility of gearchanges are one of the highlights of lexus autos

Its a manual and the car drives perfectly with no trouble i am just curious about the noise ive booked in at lexus for 2 weeks time now just to be on the safe side there computers will tell me everything i need to know as its fully lexus serviced.

Thanks Jon.

I'd say this thudding noise is normal for the manual IS200. Even James May mentions it in his review of IS200 on the old Top Gear in 1999.

Mine does it and it's been doing it since I have it (more than 2 years / 25 000 km now). Sometimes it transforms to 'clicking' (high-pitched/less shaking) and sometimes shift are perfect (no thudding, no clicking).

As far as I know the problem has to do with quickly wearing synchromesh in the gearbox.

It's annoying, for sure. So, if you, by any chance, find out the reason for it, let us know.

Changing the trans oil to some quality synthetic stuff like redline or amsoil will help reduce the thud. Mine used to do it regularly but after putting Redline MT-90 in the trans it only does it on the very odd occasion now. I'm also running some fully synthetic Castrol 80w140 in the diff. That mainly only helped improve the LSD operation & made it quieter though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links