Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H Build Quality

I would ask if any other members are experiencing issues with the build quality of the RX 450h(or is it just my car), I have an irritating clunking noise associated with the braking system(no fault found apparently) and the footbrake(i.e.handbrake)rubber cover keeps falling off!! The solution to the latter may well be a bit of super glue!! For a car that retails close to £60k I find it a disgraceful state of affairs. I have previously owned 2 LS430's an RX400h and currently have a GS450h(wife's car) aswell as the RX450h. However, my confidence in the Lexus build quality is rapidly diminishing. I can't wait for the next customer experience survey.

I won't bore you with my other niggles just yet.

my 2p worth.... IMHO it is always a "risk" buying a new year model of car. My Rx450h (which I now love to bits) was delivered with multiple trim rattles. Very disappointing - but now fixed I am glad to say and the customer service seems to be still spot on.

In my experience (having driven BMW, Mercedes, VW and Lexus) I think that trim quality has declined slightly as Toyota desperately chased the #1 car company position. Mechanically I still think they are bombproof but trim issues combined with (like many foreign manufacturers) not testing cars on the UK's "unique" road surfaces ads to the problem.

I have had far more mechanical issues with other luxury marques than Lexus.

I believe that Lexus cars are still at the top of the pile and especially after the recent problems the focus on quality will be paramount.

I would ask if any other members are experiencing issues with the build quality of the RX 450h(or is it just my car), I have an irritating clunking noise associated with the braking system(no fault found apparently) and the footbrake(i.e.handbrake)rubber cover keeps falling off!! The solution to the latter may well be a bit of super glue!! For a car that retails close to £60k I find it a disgraceful state of affairs. I have previously owned 2 LS430's an RX400h and currently have a GS450h(wife's car) aswell as the RX450h. However, my confidence in the Lexus build quality is rapidly diminishing. I can't wait for the next customer experience survey.

I won't bore you with my other niggles just yet.

And here was me thinking I was paranoid about my RX. I am now on my 4th (and last) I started on a 300,then a 400h, GS450H- best car i have ever owned and driven - and now 450H.

iPod has never worked since day one. Still waiting for a fix after 8 months despite being in twice for an "upgrade"

Car was in last week for believe it or not corrosion on the tailgate - after 6 -7 months???

I too have a knock from the front offside wheel. it knocks when I start off then the same knock when I brake.

I made the mistake of phoning customer relations. They employ 2 people in the department - one is George - about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. When I had a moan about the corrosion he told me "thats what you get a warranty for" As for the I Pod etc its strictly not their problem - my contract is with the dealer he says - funny how the dealer tells me to phone customer relstions.

Am afraid this will be my last.

And here was me thinking I was paranoid about my RX. I am now on my 4th (and last) I started on a 300,then a 400h, GS450H- best car i have ever owned and driven - and now 450H.

iPod has never worked since day one. Still waiting for a fix after 8 months despite being in twice for an "upgrade"

Car was in last week for believe it or not corrosion on the tailgate - after 6 -7 months???

I too have a knock from the front offside wheel. it knocks when I start off then the same knock when I brake.

I made the mistake of phoning customer relations. They employ 2 people in the department - one is George - about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. When I had a moan about the corrosion he told me "thats what you get a warranty for" As for the I Pod etc its strictly not their problem - my contract is with the dealer he says - funny how the dealer tells me to phone customer relstions.

Am afraid this will be my last.

I've had issues with the iPod connection as well. Very random as to whether it connects or not. Both Milton Keynes and Hatfield dealers have looked at this and both say they have solved it, only for it to appear again within the day. They have tried changing connections but neither has done anything with the software. Have you been told it is a hardware or a software fault?

I have issues with my iPod connection on my new RX 450h also - it is sometimes ok, but I frequently get a "connection fault" message, with no sound or other functionality. I also have an Iphone 3GS which plays music directly onto the Levinson audio system via Bluetooth - perhaps it is crowding out or confusing the software in some way?

Otherwise, I have had my RX 450h SE-L for 3 weeks and overall am impressed. The cabin is a pleasant and really spacious place to be, not least given the RX's relatively compact exterior dimensions. My only moan so far is the surprisinly harsh ride around town - no doubt made worse by the 19 inch wheels. When will premium maufacturers abandon their POINTLESS attempts at *sportiness*...and specify sensible wheel/suspension settings fit for the UK's pothole covered roads? Only Mercedes seem to "get it".

Just a comment regarding IPOD connectivity. I had similar connection issues when I got my RX. It appeared to be 2 things :

1) even though my IPOD was listed as supported it was a very early version of the supported type. The connection seemed to be random. Swapped to a newer version and problem solved

2) However even with new IPOD occasionally the connection disappears. Cable is secure, IPOD says connected etc. Turns out thi is solved by resetting the IPOD. It would appear that after many days of continuous use it just seems to freeze.

Hope this helps.

I have issues with my iPod connection on my new RX 450h also - it is sometimes ok, but I frequently get a "connection fault" message, with no sound or other functionality. I also have an iPhone 3GS which plays music directly onto the Levinson audio system via Bluetooth - perhaps it is crowding out or confusing the software in some way?

Otherwise, I have had my RX 450h SE-L for 3 weeks and overall am impressed. The cabin is a pleasant and really spacious place to be, not least given the RX's relatively compact exterior dimensions. My only moan so far is the surprisinly harsh ride around town - no doubt made worse by the 19 inch wheels. When will premium maufacturers abandon their POINTLESS attempts at *sportiness*...and specify sensible wheel/suspension settings fit for the UK's pothole covered roads? Only Mercedes seem to "get it".

May only be psychological but once in a while I find the air suspension gets a bit harsh - I run it through a hi, mid, lo, access cycle and it seems to smooth out. Strange?!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a comment regarding IPOD connectivity. I had similar connection issues when I got my RX. It appeared to be 2 things :

1) even though my IPOD was listed as supported it was a very early version of the supported type. The connection seemed to be random. Swapped to a newer version and problem solved

2) However even with new IPOD occasionally the connection disappears. Cable is secure, IPOD says connected etc. Turns out thi is solved by resetting the IPOD. It would appear that after many days of continuous use it just seems to freeze.

Hope this helps.

Rillo - huge thanks. I tried a newer iPod version as you recommended and the problem is solved. Major irritant removed.

I am now adapting to the slightly harsh suspension, albeit less so to a trim rattle somewhere around the rear seats. At least my iPod now drowns it out! Hopefully the dealer can resolve when the car is next in.

In any event, passengers praise cabin comfort levels to the skies, so perhaps I am over-sensitive to some of these things.

Hope this helps.

Rillo - huge thanks. I tried a newer iPod version as you recommended and the problem is solved. Major irritant removed.

I am now adapting to the slightly harsh suspension, albeit less so to a trim rattle somewhere around the rear seats. At least my iPod now drowns it out! Hopefully the dealer can resolve when the car is next in.

In any event, passengers praise cabin comfort levels to the skies, so perhaps I am over-sensitive to some of these things.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Just spoke with Lexus customer care today who tell me they are aware of the iPod connecion problem. They have brought out a new version of an ECU part which will solve this. The European warehouse is currently being "cleansed" of the old version of the part so that when dealers ask for the part they get the one with the bug removed. This should happen late July '10.

So, if you have this problem, wait until late July/early August then call your dealer and ask them to order part number: 861A048020.

They will then replace this part and the problem will go away. I hope.

• 2 months later...

Just spoke with Lexus customer care today who tell me they are aware of the iPod connecion problem. They have brought out a new version of an ECU part which will solve this. The European warehouse is currently being "cleansed" of the old version of the part so that when dealers ask for the part they get the one with the bug removed. This should happen late July '10.

So, if you have this problem, wait until late July/early August then call your dealer and ask them to order part number: 861A048020.

They will then replace this part and the problem will go away. I hope.

Had the new part fitted and it all works a treat now. even with Iphone 4.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links