Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help With A Sat Nav Fitting (Clueless)

Hey guys, im going to sound really thick in this thread but hey,

ive just dropped a clanger and bought a used satnav intergated dash kit for my is200 (the standard part that comes with the navigator is200's)

it had a problem the guy said in the advert that it kept opening on its own, but i overlooked that and thought id get a bargain, got it for 100 quid which i thought was great cause every time i see one come up on eBay they go for 3-400.

Then..

for some stupid reason i thought it would be a case of presto chango and id have a satnav, and after doing a bit of reading around ( i know i should have does this first) ive realised its a massive job.

Does anyone have any advice or help as im on a pretty tight budget and im useless at auto electrics myself, i was even considering somehow taking the satnav out and then turning the housing into a fancy storage thing.. would that even be possible?

if anyone could also help on removing the original dash tray id be greatfull, and any input whatsoever would be so cool, thanks a lot in advance

removing the original dash tray is easy, just put a knife or screwdriver in the gap (where it meets the air con controls) and prize it off, it just clips in. as for wiring a sat nav in, id say you have two hopes there, bob hope and no hope!

hiya,always best to do ur research first,the only thing you can do with the housing is try and fit an after market sat nav into it.I had a non navigator and bought a lexus sat nav,housing,wiring loom,module/player and then found out its too much hassle,time and money to have it fitted,so I have a lexus navigator.

Thanks for the help guys, just wondering though and again feel free to call me daft but.. would the wiring be in to connect the housing so the tilt/open buttons operate? the cars a 99 SE,

Because sad as it sounds id be happy to take the satnav out and turn it into a storage device but it would be really nice if the motor lid still worked, would that be hard to connect?

it cost me about 100 quid and the jdm altezza style lids are about that from the states so id kinda be happy to ignore the satnav, or if anyone wants it rather than me keeping it just let me know

its not as easy as just connecting the right ones im afraid, there are people that have hollowed the unit out, put an aftermarket sat nav in and the wired it so the "open/close" button opens the lid and the "tilt" button closes it, i had on, it was great, and you had to wire it in to an ignition controlled power supply like the cig lighter. easy to install but not a clue how to make. they come up every now and again, paid and sold mine for £290

Ah damn, well im quite handy at making things just not a clue with wiring, i reckon i could remove the sat nav and put a fake tray in it but its just the wiring, might have to get an auto electrician to have a look at making the buttons work, or is it easy to wire it into the cig lighter? thanks for the help phil

once you have got someone to to devise a circuit to make the motor go up and down using the existing buttons, wiring it to the power is easy, you take off the top tray, take out the glove compartment, remove the cd and air con controls, and lift up the centre console, feed the wires into the hole were the tray used to be, to the left so hey come out the hole in the glove box, then feed back through to the back of the stereo and under to the centr console, then just solder or crimp the two wires to the cig lighter, easy lol

once you have got someone to to devise a circuit to make the motor go up and down using the existing buttons, wiring it to the power is easy, you take off the top tray, take out the glove compartment, remove the cd and air con controls, and lift up the centre console, feed the wires into the hole were the tray used to be, to the left so hey come out the hole in the glove box, then feed back through to the back of the stereo and under to the centr console, then just solder or crimp the two wires to the cig lighter, easy lol

Easy.. :blink: think this is gunna be a costly project i might have to bang this back on eBay lol, i only wanted to make the interior look a bit different, cant believe its so tricky when the actual nav cars are about 4-5 grand nowadays haha

thanks alot though you've probably saved me a helluva lot of money via me not having a go and making a big mess :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links