Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Got A Few Problems Need Advice

hi guys not been around for a while but have recently had my engine light come one then a week or so later the handbrake light illuminated and the TRC OFF light is flashing

i had the code read as P0420 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1)

the code was then cleared and the engine light went off but the handbrake light stayed on and the TRC OFF continued to blink

i had the code read before about six months ago when the management light kept coming on and going off which came back the with the P0420 reading and the mechanic said probs a dirty sensor but i never got round to changing it

but this with the flashing trc off and handbrake light is worrying me i dont know if the engine light is connected to it or if this is a total different problem

ive checked the usual brake fluid, pads and rear brake lights and all fine

any ideas guys

hi guys not been around for a while but have recently had my engine light come one then a week or so later the handbrake light illuminated and the TRC OFF light is flashing

i had the code read as P0420 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1)

the code was then cleared and the engine light went off but the handbrake light stayed on and the TRC OFF continued to blink

i had the code read before about six months ago when the management light kept coming on and going off which came back the with the P0420 reading and the mechanic said probs a dirty sensor but i never got round to changing it

but this with the flashing trc off and handbrake light is worrying me i dont know if the engine light is connected to it or if this is a total different problem

ive checked the usual brake fluid, pads and rear brake lights and all fine

any ideas guys

- - - - -I would advise you to have the sensor replaced as this is the cause (hence the fault code).

Edited by Doovey

Looked into it some more. You need to replace the manifold cat and probably re-programme the accelerator sensor. Ignore my post about the sensor. I was given duff info. The TRC light is flashing because the fault is still there with the engine management. Engine management is ignoring the signal because of the "self adapting capability" of the ECU.

Looked into it some more. You need to replace the manifold cat and probably re-programme the accelerator sensor. Ignore my post about the sensor. I was given duff info. The TRC light is flashing because the fault is still there with the engine management. Engine management is ignoring the signal because of the "self adapting capability" of the ECU.

IMHO there should be two unrelated problems with your car. I get the same error you have from time to time and the problem seems to be weak cat, which needs to be replaced (in your case, it could also be the front lambda for first free cylinders).

The TRC and handbrake light should be because of other problem. I assume people with better diagnostics should be able to read that error tho. The TRC and handbrake lights do not come on just because of the P0420 ECU fault.

IMHO there should be two unrelated problems with your car. I get the same error you have from time to time and the problem seems to be weak cat, which needs to be replaced (in your case, it could also be the front lambda for first free cylinders).

The TRC and handbrake light should be because of other problem. I assume people with better diagnostics should be able to read that error tho. The TRC and handbrake lights do not come on just because of the P0420 ECU fault.

The acceleration sensor needs to be re programmed due to the TRC learning ,it relies on the engine ECU for the running information (throttle position etc...) and at the moment it is being supplied rubbish information due to the faulty cat.

thanks guys sounds as if its going to cost me a fortune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

which is a little worrying for me at the moment so looks like after diagnosis the cars going to be stood for a while :-(

is the manifold cat the more expensive of the 2 and IF it turns out to be something along the lines of whats being posted does anybody have a ballpark figure for parts on there own?

cheers

thanks guys sounds as if its going to cost me a fortune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

which is a little worrying for me at the moment so looks like after diagnosis the cars going to be stood for a while :-(

is the manifold cat the more expensive of the 2 and IF it turns out to be something along the lines of whats being posted does anybody have a ballpark figure for parts on there own?

cheers

If you give your local dealer a call and they can quote you.

cheers

If you give your local dealer a call and they can quote you.

yeah i may have to do that although i dont have a lexus where i am its only toyota! hopefully cheeper!

you dont happen to no the part number for cat in question do you and is it the whole TWC system?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links