Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rusting Stone Chips On Bonnet / Hood

I have had 2 replacement bonnets from Lexus under warranty due to rust bubbling up under the paint. One at 30,000 and one at 90,000.

These are spots of bubbling rust from 0.5 to 1 cm in diameter and look like stone chips have started the process.

This is happening exclusively below the radiator grille, bodyshop says the new bonnets are not galvanised, so am concerned about it reoccurring as the car ages.

Has anyone else experienced this and any advice?

I've just bought a car bra from Lexus of Roseville for shipping to the UK to protect as the Warranty is now expired.

2006 RX400h SE 110,000 miles

I have this EXACT problem - rust coming through around the rubber seal surrounding the grill :angry:

From what i've seen is that another common place for rust on the RX's are the wheel arches. So check yorus if you haven't done so already!

You were lucky to get yours replaced by Lexus. I was told it was "normal wear and tear" - WTF?! I've had to accept that I will just need to get the bonnet resprayed every so often.

ALL cars in my opinion should be galvanised. There is no excuse in this day and age.

I had the same problem was told it was not covered by warranty, car was 4 years old, 50,000 miles at that point. The paint around the grill had a number of rust spots and the front bumper was peppered with stone chips.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks I now have this problem on my 2006 RX400h.

Swallowbarn - how did you manage to make your case for replacement - I'm getting the same kind of verbal brush-off as others, but I'm just about to start writing letters...

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto ylk88. RX400h SE-L 2006, 106K.

I shall watch this thread!

The other irritation I have is that the local council has cut back on cutting back the verges due to the cut-backs, with the result that the left side is regularly scraped by protruding branches and general flora - and you can guess what that means with the Lexus "waffer-theen" paint.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links