Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starter Motor

lester

I have 53 plate SC430 29,000 miles. When you turn the key the starter motor sometimes just clicks, and the next turn of key will start. This is getting more frequent, sometimes 2 - 3 turns just clicks then starts. Lexus have told me it ants a new starter motor, 4 hours labour and new starter £450. Is there any test my local garage can do to check this out. Thanks Lester

Sounds like the solenoid rather than the starter. Assuming the starter is the same/similar to the GS, the solenoid can be refurbished for around £10-£15 in parts, plus the time to remove and replace the starter.

For the overhaul, there is a ling in my signature to a tutorial I did. If you have a look in the LS sub forum, there are a few posts about the starter and the V8 engine (and what a b*tch it is to get out) along with the odd tip for the job.

Sounds like the solenoid rather than the starter. Assuming the starter is the same/similar to the GS, the solenoid can be refurbished for around £10-£15 in parts, plus the time to remove and replace the starter.

For the overhaul, there is a ling in my signature to a tutorial I did. If you have a look in the LS sub forum, there are a few posts about the starter and the V8 engine (and what a b*tch it is to get out) along with the odd tip for the job.

Cheers for the quick reply - are you saying the starter motor has to come out to repair the solenoid switch - Lester

Cheers for the quick reply - are you saying the starter motor has to come out to repair the solenoid switch - Lester

Yes, it would need to come out. If you have a look at my tutorial, and the location of your starter, you will see why.

Yes, it would need to come out. If you have a look at my tutorial, and the location of your starter, you will see why.

Thanks for your help, apparently Lexus told me to get the starter and solenoid out, the exhaust manifold has to come off but my local garage (not Lexus) did not fancy the job and explained the solenoid functions and turned the ignition key on and off quickly 10 times without starting the engine and explained that this will clear the solenoid points (as I do not use the car regularly). Am now using the car more and the problem has not happened again, does this make sense to you? Cheers, Lester

• 2 months later...

Hi Tiger Fish

I have an SC430 which has done nearly 70k. I got in yesterday and turned the key and got nothing but clicks and that is how it has stayed. It hadn't been showing any signs of the problem before, in your opinion is this likely to be Solenoids as well or am I looking at a replacement Starter Motor?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links