Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Failure

paulj

I have rececently bought a Lexus 220d IS and have been very pleased with it for my 6 months of ownership. When driving to work the other day there was a total loss of power. I immediately contacted Lexus care as I had fortunately got an extra 12 month warranty and the vehical was recovered. I was told that the car had gone into limp mode!! 8 pints of Stella has the same effect.

A week later I collected the car and was told that due to the reduction of co2 immissions the engine has to reburn gasses. This together with excessive oil burn it caused the engine to get totally choked up. Suitable mods had been carried out resulting in new pistons and rings, a decoke and a new cat. Can anyone enlighten me with a more informative explanation?

I have rececently bought a Lexus 220d IS and have been very pleased with it for my 6 months of ownership. When driving to work the other day there was a total loss of power. I immediately contacted Lexus care as I had fortunately got an extra 12 month warranty and the vehical was recovered. I was told that the car had gone into limp mode!! 8 pints of Stella has the same effect.

A week later I collected the car and was told that due to the reduction of co2 immissions the engine has to reburn gasses. This together with excessive oil burn it caused the engine to get totally choked up. Suitable mods had been carried out resulting in new pistons and rings, a decoke and a new cat. Can anyone enlighten me with a more informative explanation?

1.is your car low urban mileage as modern diesels with dpf's do not like lot's of urban driving.follow steps 2&3 and you should be fine.

2.use the v power diesel every third tank or a fuel additive such as millers dps4.

3.if your engine becomes more audible than usual,take it for a twenty minute drive in third gear at 70mph and will help with carbon build up.

1.is your car low urban mileage as modern diesels with dpf's do not like lot's of urban driving.follow steps 2&3 and you should be fine.

2.use the v power diesel every third tank or a fuel additive such as millers dps4.

3.if your engine becomes more audible than usual,take it for a twenty minute drive in third gear at 70mph and will help with carbon build up.

have found site that does egr valve replacenment kits iv emailed them to see if they do a lexus version has they only list vw audi bmw etc should get a reply soon im thinking about replacing the egr valve myself as these seem to be problematic might be worth a look if your thinking of keeping the car or it may help anyone else out there having same problems and are looking for an alternative ..theres a good insight into how these valves work to if you not familular with them might be useful ,will let you know if i get an email and they do lexus or email them yourself the address is as follows http://www.egrvalve.co.uk/ hope this helps..

have found site that does egr valve replacenment kits iv emailed them to see if they do a lexus version has they only list vw audi bmw etc should get a reply soon im thinking about replacing the egr valve myself as these seem to be problematic might be worth a look if your thinking of keeping the car or it may help anyone else out there having same problems and are looking for an alternative ..theres a good insight into how these valves work to if you not familular with them might be useful ,will let you know if i get an email and they do lexus or email them yourself the address is as follows http://www.egrvalve.co.uk/ hope this helps..

cleaning of the egr valve will suffice,replacement is not required.

just finished cleaning my egr valve think it was replaced at 50.000 miles got 70.000 on the clock now was curious to see how blocked these valves become with carbon.The whole process took about 45 minutes and was shocked to see how fowled it was with carbon,there was no check lights on the car and car did seem to run fine although i did notice a kinda hold back sometimes but put this down to the quality of the fuel ie what garage i used .Now i only use the bp v+ and sometimes add a bit of sto injecter cleaner to a tank of fuel.Used a whole can of wyns carb and injector cleaner and scraped out the carbon build up taking care has to catch what i could with a hover .Looking forward to takin it a spin tommorrow to see if my mpg has gone up any was on average getting 30 mpg round town and 44mpg on a run ..

just finished cleaning my egr valve think it was replaced at 50.000 miles got 70.000 on the clock now was curious to see how blocked these valves become with carbon.The whole process took about 45 minutes and was shocked to see how fowled it was with carbon,there was no check lights on the car and car did seem to run fine although i did notice a kinda hold back sometimes but put this down to the quality of the fuel ie what garage i used .Now i only use the bp v+ and sometimes add a bit of sto injecter cleaner to a tank of fuel.Used a whole can of wyns carb and injector cleaner and scraped out the carbon build up taking care has to catch what i could with a hover .Looking forward to takin it a spin tommorrow to see if my mpg has gone up any was on average getting 30 mpg round town and 44mpg on a run ..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links