Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt Replacement Mileage/age

saji

Hi,

Would like to know when should I change a timing belt in a GS 300?

Just BEFORE it breaks! :winky:

Seriously, peoples opinions on this vary, I'm not sure what proper interval is but every 60,000 would be reasonable.

Hi,

Mk 1 GS 300 is every 60k or every 6 years, whichever is soonest. Not sure on Mk 2. A quick phone call to any Lexus dealer would be quickest way to find out if you don't have an owners manual.

Hi,

Mk 1 GS 300 is every 60k or every 6 years, whichever is soonest. Not sure on Mk 2. A quick phone call to any Lexus dealer would be quickest way to find out if you don't have an owners manual.

I have just changed mine (that crank pulley was pig to undo) and it had done 95,000 miles. It was in perfect condition - could have gone a lot longer. The tensioner pulley was fine . Small amount of play but smooth running)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just changed mine (that crank pulley was pig to undo) and it had done 95,000 miles. It was in perfect condition - could have gone a lot longer. The tensioner pulley was fine . Small amount of play but smooth running)

perfect condition after 95k miles?????????????// get yourself magnifieng glass and have aproper look between the teeth./////////////////////////////////////// 3yrs/40000miles cambelt change interval reccomended by toyota in japan for japanese customers.think about it........

• 2 months later...

90k or a little before wouldint hurt.

You might want to also replace the following:

Timing Belt Tensioner

Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley

Water Pump

Front Engine Seals

Serp Belt

Dont wait till its too late then you will be paying big time!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

hello i just became the owner of a 300gs wit 126,00 and now needs a service A....this is cambelt and quite a major service as told by the service book and lexus....

for lexus to do the cam and all the followers comes to £500 but is a job that needs attention every 26,000 mls!!but i did ask the tech and he says another 5000 is poss! so its poss that your car wiil be ok and its poss it will break

hello i just became the owner of a 300gs wit 126,00 and now needs a service A....this is cambelt and quite a major service as told by the service book and lexus....

for lexus to do the cam and all the followers comes to £500 but is a job that needs attention every 26,000 mls!!but i did ask the tech and he says another 5000 is poss! so its poss that your car wiil be ok and its poss it will break

I don't know where you obtained the above information but it is, to put it bluntly, a load of tosh.

• 3 weeks later...

Are any special tools required to hold the cams in place when the belt is removed? When I changed a belt on a 1.6 Vauxhall engine a few years ago it was a simple case of aligning the markers on the 2 cam pulleys.

I presume the methodology of changing it on the GS300 engine is pretty much the same?

Is there a guide online somewhere?

Just been quoted £200 to change the belt and pulleys. Seems reasonable enough to me.

If that is including the parts it's a bargain if not with labour rates it's still a good price.

My local mechanic misquoted me on my Lexus V8 cambelt job after Autodata stated 2 hours! 10 hours later the job was done, honoured the quote at £100.00 labour!

Just been quoted £200 to change the belt and pulleys. Seems reasonable enough to me.

If that is including the parts it's a bargain if not with labour rates it's still a good price.

My local mechanic misquoted me on my Lexus V8 cambelt job after Autodata stated 2 hours! 10 hours later the job was done, honoured the quote at £100.00 labour!

Lexus Coventry quoted around £360 for cambelt on my V8 GS430 which will need doing September. Apparently the GS430 is easier to do than Mk 1 GS300.