Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newer Altezza's

the_second_coming

Ok

The Altezza was built from 98-04 maybe till early 05?? but i can never find any newer Altezza's (AS200/RS200) like a late 2003 to 2004 model for sale in UK maybe i only ever seen a few say in a time frame of couple of years ! usually ones i see for sale are 98/99/2000 a few 2001 but from there newer ones gets rare.....?? why's that ? is it something to do with the ESVA or lack of model report as i know this had limited certain JDM cars from being imported into UK, otherwise i would of considered a Altezza, so i getting delivery if a IS200 instead, sure the 99/2000 ones are good but main reason for changing cars is that i wanted a newer car to replace my 02 corolla.

i think it may be a combination of several factors.

simply put, fewer Altezzas were built in the later years.

additionally, their popularity came about after they had been around for a few years.

thus, the people who really wanted them, but could only afford second hands ones are starting to snatch them up now.

if you think about it a car lasts several years if it is properly taken care of...

why get rid of a car that has nothing wrong with it?

have you tried

http://www.japan-partner.com/sedan.html?sort_by=update&sort_dir=desc&se_maker=Toyota&se_model=ALTEZZA&se_grade=any&se_fov=sedan&se_steering=any&se_fuel=any&se_transmission=any&se_price_start=any&se_price_end=any&se_year_start=any&se_year_end=any&se_displacement_start=any&se_displacement_end=any&search_ngn=

the newer ones go fast, they love those things in Russia and down in Australia...

nothing to do with model reports, the altezza already has one.

i've never understood people's obsessions with buying new cars, i had a 96, then a 93, now i have a 1999.... i've never bought them on their age. what are you hoping to gain by owning a 2 or 3 year newer car? because it could have been ragged to sh*t in japan, and everything about the design is from 1999..... not really a new car is it?

The cars you're speaking of do appear on japanese auctions, but they still fetch very good money. They're often fantastic low mileage examples, they were all over when i bought mine.... but you will pay for the priveledge. you're getting an entry level performance saloon that's only a few years old and it'll be priced like one.

The IS200 is completely different in its characteristics so this makes me question why you had your heart set on an altezza in the first place?

don't mean to come across as a *****, just don't understand the vast majority of your reasoning.

edit: also forgot to mention. the japanese version of an MOT that old cars must pass is ludicrously restrictive. this is why we get seemingly immaculate cars that they're done with - they can't get these cars back to factory condition, often because of numerous modifications, that would mean they don't pass this test, which is slightly further apart than the UK MOT. this would not be an issue for a 6 year old car that had been treated well.

i've never understood people's obsessions with buying new cars, i had a 96, then a 93, now i have a 1999.... i've never bought them on their age. what are you hoping to gain by owning a 2 or 3 year newer car? because it could have been ragged to sh*t in japan, and everything about the design is from 1999..... not really a new car is it?

The cars you're speaking of do appear on japanese auctions, but they still fetch very good money. They're often fantastic low mileage examples, they were all over when i bought mine.... but you will pay for the priveledge. you're getting an entry level performance saloon that's only a few years old and it'll be priced like one.

The IS200 is completely different in its characteristics so this makes me question why you had your heart set on an altezza in the first place?

don't mean to come across as a *****, just don't understand the vast majority of your reasoning.

edit: also forgot to mention. the japanese version of an MOT that old cars must pass is ludicrously restrictive. this is why we get seemingly immaculate cars that they're done with - they can't get these cars back to factory condition, often because of numerous modifications, that would mean they don't pass this test, which is slightly further apart than the UK MOT. this would not be an issue for a 6 year old car that had been treated well.

Maybe Altezza has an RS200 3S-GE that the is200 doesnt,

Maybe Altezza has an RS200 3S-GE that the is200 doesnt,

i know that. there's hundreds in the country that are registered as altezzas, not as is200s. therefore, it has a model report.

I reckon its to do with the the strict ESVA testing you mention.

I understand thats its implimented on Jap cars that reach 10 years old and thats why imported ones are are nearly always around 10 years old (with a few exceptions). Guess they keep hold of them until such time.

Just my 2p

I reckon its to do with the the strict ESVA testing you mention.

I understand thats its implimented on Jap cars that reach 10 years old and thats why imported ones are are nearly always around 10 years old (with a few exceptions). Guess they keep hold of them until such time.

Just my 2p

I guess so ! what i dont get is that cars 10 yrs or older dont need this strict esva, just sva, but arent newer cars lower emission. safer & generally better condition(ok exception of some newer cars are worse condition depending on how its looked after) but i heard esva was bought out to protect the british/european car industry so that people buy new(er) uk specified/european cars than a brand new grey import japanese car so sound like nothing to do with safety/road worthy if older imported cars can get through easier than newer ones :o

Sorry, I've used incorrect terminology here.

The japanese domestic market cars have to undergo a huge test once they reach ten years old. Think its part of the law there. These tests are hugely expensive so rather than forking out loads of money on their ten year old cars, they buy newer ones which is why ten year old cars are more frequently up for auction/import.

The ESVA/SVA is a test the UK requires of imported cars and is different from that imposed by Jap law.

The japanese domestic market cars have to undergo a huge test once they reach ten years old. Think its part of the law there. These tests are hugely expensive so rather than forking out loads of money on their ten year old cars, they buy newer ones which is why ten year old cars are more frequently up for auction/import.

The ESVA/SVA is a test the UK requires of imported cars and is different from that imposed by Jap law.

sir,

i think you may have been a little ill-advised here. i lived in Japan for three and a half years, and had several cars. one of them actually turned 10 years old on me, and i do not recall this inspection.

the JCI inspection, quite similar to the MOT, can be very intrusive. the findings on the JCI inspection are used to calculate your insurance premium.

when/if your vehicle is involved in an accident, if your car is less than road worthy this can have an effect on the settlement, even if the accident is not your fault.

the main reason vehicles find their way over here, is simple, the Japanese do not have room on their island to store automobiles that they no longer drive.

they used to mostly just scrap them and recycle the materials, then some entrepreneurial men started selling clips, which eventually evolved into exporting used vehicles.

the United Kingdom has more lenient restrictions on motor vehicles concerning road use,

therefore, an automobile that is less than road worthy to the Japanese has usually been far better maintained than cars half its age in Britain.

I always bow to better knowledge.

I was in the ball park though and in part, my point still stands. The JCI imposed must at least influence the decision of the owner to sell on if its a risk to keep.

You point holds more water though it must be said.

If I was wearing a hat, I'd take it off.

Slightly off the flow of this topic but there is a 2001 Altezza for sale currently near where I live (Radcliffe, Manchester). I actually sat in it to have a look but to be honest it was not a credit to the previous owner.

I couldn't see any differences that would make me part with the added cost, but I did however REALLY like the digital clocks!

Heres the info (but no pics)...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201001349816514/sort/priceasc/usedcars/postcode/m261uh/page/1/keywords/altezza/radius/10?logcode=p

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links