Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Urgent - Car Not Locking/unlocking

Grrrrrrr.

Came out of work today and pressed keyfob to unlock the car - nothing happened. So pressed again, again, nothing happened. So pressed lock - nothing, unlock, the after about 5 secs the lights flashed and car unlocked.

So, I thought, maybe some interference - so got in and alarm went off. Went to put key in ignition and start car - which should usually turn the alarm off - and that didn't work!

So, got out, locked in all (which took a few presses as didn't seem to recognise it) and tried it all again, but had the same problem.

Eventually, I started the car (alarm still sounding) waited for the alarm to stop then drove home. Also noticed that the fuel gauge wasn't working, nor was the economy gauge (everything else was though), and the outside temp wasn't on - plus next to where that was was an "E" displayed but no error code number - just the time.

Got home and tried to have a good look around each kick panel checking every plug was in properly. Also checked all the fused including the ones in the engine bay.

All seems OK. But also noticed that now, the "door open" symbol on the dash is lit and won't go out. This wasn't on previously so have no idea whats happened there.

I would be EXTREMELY grateful if anyone could shed any light on what could be the issue. I am thinking maybe some alarm or locking ECU or something, but am not sure.

The last thing I need is a massive bill cos I have just been made redundant, so need to find the fault as cheaply as possible really!!

Currently, I have disconnected the Battery and will leave it like that overnight in an attempt to try to reset the ECUs to see if that helps.

As much as I love the IS, its now starting to get things go wrong and its doing my head in.

Yeah I had that issue a few years ago after the windscreen was replaced. Common problem it seemed. Causes the headlights to remain on - I was lucky in that I managed to sort it easily by just drying out a connector and the boards etc - though others haven't been so lucky and have had to buy a whole new relay board etc!!

Hopefully, what with the wealth of knowledge that there is on here, someone will be able to point to the causes!!

Cheers.

Quick update. I re-connected the Battery this morning after being disconnected overnight, and (touch wood) all seems back to normal.

So, the question now is, has anyone heard of the usual water leak issue in the drivers footwell causing alarm/locking issues over and above the usual headlights remaining on problem that is usually the case?

Or, could this type of problem be a failing main Battery? The voltage reads ok, but then my drive to work is really short. This morning it was reading high, but that could have been due to low load overnight and lower temps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links