• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you agree with the comments about the heating

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you agree with the comments about the heated wipers

• Yes
    • No

I recently changed my Jaguar S type for an 18 month old IS 220d SEL on the back of a short test drive in a similar car.

When collected it looked the part and had most of the gadgets the Jag had, promised similar performance and much greater fuel efficiency (the main reason for changing). After 3 months I can only say how disappointed I am and I’d like to know from other members if the annoyances I have are common or one off to this vehicle. Some have only come to light with the recent cold weather.

Road noise- this is truly awful on anything but the very smoothest tarmac and on a long run really tiring

Gearbox – I read somewhere this is “borrowed” from a truck and that’s what it feels like, it seems like it should last forever but first to second is always crunch time, literally, its always notchy , as for sixth , what a farce it’s unusable at British legal speeds unless you’re going downhill

Engine – noisy at low speeds and why does it “tick over” at 1200 rpm even when warm?

Heater – no warmth at all for about 6 miles after starting from cold, making runs in cold weather a potentially dangerous experience with misted windows and the like

Heated wipers – what use are these? I was misled by the salesman calling it a heated screen, the Jag had one even my wife’s new Fiesta has one so why this omission on a car which, new, is £30K +?

And now, to cap it off, the drivers door moves on its seals over bumps in the road

This is my first Lexus, I think it will be my last; I was taken in by the media hype and reliability reports. The reality is that’s it an unpleasant driving experience and one not deserving of the cars sales tag – or is it me?

The heated screen is only available on Fords (and companys owned by ford) as the have the patent for it. As for the heaters, most cars ive had do take a while to warm up. my 200 take a few minutes also.

I think you should have come here first and looked at the reviews of the IS220D, then maybe you would have made a different choice.

Just came back from Lexus Cheltenham and most of their Sales and Service guys have been to a Lexus seminar in Provence. Apart from the LF-A being there, the other subject that came up was the announcement that the 220D is finally being killed off. In saying that, the new IS is going to be a hybrid, so looks like the existing range and the IS-F will be phased out.

I asked about the IS200D (also will be killed off thankfully) and whether it really was a detuned 140 bhp version of the existing engine. They confirmed it was, and the detune is because of emissions and mpg improvement required by the fleet market.

The other good news is my 2001 IS200 Sport sailed through it's M.O.T again, no probs at all.

The heated screen is only available on Fords (and companys owned by ford) as the have the patent for it. As for the heaters, most cars ive had do take a while to warm up. my 200 take a few minutes also.

the is200 has a heated screen look through the vents under the drivers scuttle panel and youll see the connections...........

as the only thing they have the pat for is the wire used in the windscreen..

Ormi, the Lexus heated screen only heats the area where the wipers sit which is a very useful feature to prevent the wipers freezing and breaking a wiper linkage but it is not a fully heated screen on the IS200.... Does the IS 220/250 range have a fully heated windscreen?

the heat creaps up the window just like if you hold the end of a nail and put the other in a flame your fingers will get burnt thats how the heated window was ment to work(heat transfer)

the is200 has a heated screen look through the vents under the drivers scuttle panel and youll see the connections...........

Yeah thats what I was referring to.

Thanks for the feedback on the heated wipers / screen - perhaps I should be more patient and i'll try it out.

Nobody's commented about the gearbox, and whether there's any "tricks" to make it less difficult, nor the road noise - i'd really like to hear from other members who may have helped / solved this by using different tyres and if so what are they?

When is it turned on? Does it turn on, when you turn on the rear window heating or point the fans directly at windows? :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links