Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls Independent Servicing

Hi All,

I'm a newbie, and a bit of a fraud in so far as I am not actually a Lexus owner (yet).

I'm here to research a probable purchase of a LS 400 Mk IV. I have considered a 430, but am a bit put off by the additional complexity and potential for expensive failures, particularly with the air suspension. My budget is £3-5k, so I guess I'm looking at a nice example of the MK IV, with recent cambelt etc.

I currently run a BMW 530i touring for the daily 100 mile motorway slog, and a TVR for weekend fun. The Lexus will be a replacement for the E39 as, well to be honest I'm a bit bored of the E39 and would like more toys to play with!

Thanks to mike213735, ManicMark, and steve2006 who have already offered up some useful advice in the New Members thread. I will definitely consider LPG, I'm guessing buying a car with it already fitted would be the ideal. Though fuel costs aren't actually my primary concern as long as I get within 10% or so of the 530, which does 30mpg on the motorway. I think this should be easily achievable as I adopt a pretty relaxed style of driving on my way to and from work.

So, on to my first questions (of many no doubt!)

First is a Q about independent servicing. If it's anything like the world of BMW, then I'm assuming that, especially for older Lexus models, independent servicing / repair work is cheaper and often better than main dealer. If this is the accepted wisdom then could anybody recommend a good garage near to Taunton/Bridgwater?

Second is relating to steve2006's suggestion to go for a car with the DHP as I am coming from a BMW. My Q is does this have a dramatic effect on the ride of the car? I'm looking mostly for comfort, but no harm in having sharper handling as long as the compromise isn't too great. Also what premium would you expect to pay for a car with the DHP?

My final (dull) question relates to child seats. Is Isofix standard on the LS? Not the end of the world if it isn't, but I'm about to buy the next size up car seat for my daughter and might as well be prepared!

Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to paradise that is owning an LS400.

A word of advice on buying with a system all ready installed make sure that they have an up to date certification for the system as this is something more and more insurance company insist on seeing.

Also make sure that the system has been installed properly by having the system inspected. If this is something you feel you can do yourself by having sufficient knowledge on LPG systems then OK but if not then find someone who you trust and has enough knowledge.

I have heard of to many stories of people buying cars with LPG installed which are downright dangerous and they either pull them out or have a system fitted.

I would always go for the having a installation fitted by a company who you have researched and trust.

I have run on LPG systems for 15 years plus on both my car and my wifes and I have always had the system fitted after buying the car. Never had a problem with any of them.

Good luck.

Mike

Hi Skoff

I'm a new member as well and just bought a MK IV 1998 LS400. I love it :P I got 30 mpg on a 530 mile run motorways and A roads. Dont' hesitate in getting a good one.

You will be able to get a very good one with that budget and still have money to install an LPG system yourself if you wanted (more on that in a minute)

I've already been passed details by another helpful member on here of a local (Sussex) ex Lex mechanic. I'm sure there will be a good independent near you. I'm taking the view that I shall be keeping my LS400 until both it and I are old and grey, so I'm going to do the servicing myself and just use a garage for the stuff that's beyond me or just too damn time consuming. I'm not concerned about keeping the stamps up in in the service book now as I plan on keeping it for good.

Don't know about the DHP or child seat situation, but my pennyworth on LPG... I looked into this whole issue very long and hard while looking for an LS400, should I buy one with it already installed or have it installed after etc etc.

LPG is a BIG topic! I think Bluser has good advice i.e if it's got LPG make sure it's a good system well installed with certs etc etc.

The etc etc's LED me to decide on just getting a good one without LPG and then consider using Profess in Wales to install a system (£1250) which you know is working, and would be currently garunteed for 3 years. BUT No disrespect to those LS400 owners here who already have LPG... you have probably already had your moneys worth out of your systems and all power to you and was certainly a good move. I just feel the current trend in LPG price (I saw it for 89p a litre last weekend) is worrying... it's certainly not any where near half the price of petrol now. I'd wait until after the next budget. But even if George does leave LPG alone, there is still nothing to stop the oil companies from piling it on... and on! Look what happened to diesel, used to be cheaper, now more expensive than petrol. LPG is a waste product from drilling oil and when we drilled in the North Sea, we had loads of the stuff, now that's coming to an end, we have to import LPG, just like everything else, which tells me the price is going to head north.

Add to this that LPG delivers 10 - 20 % less MPG than petrol then there is the possible extra insurance cost (though some don't charge extra yet) and the extra maintenance/service costs. And the fact some one has delved deep into the heart of your Lex...

I've decided not to get it installed as I don't think I will recoup my costs for about two years of driving (7000 - 8000 miles a year)

I may regret that desicion when I'm in my 10th year of ownership though :winky:

All the best with your search

Stu

Cheers Stu, always good to hear the other side of the argument.

I hadn't considered LPG until mentioned on here, and I'm not trying to run the car on a tight budget, so not really too worried, it is far from a priority. Having said that I do cover over 25k miles per year, so even at only a smallish cost benefit I think my payback time might be fairly quick.

Of course the other stuff you said about insurance, the potential for the price to go up due to greedy suppliers or a greedy government, and the fact that it clearly is quite an intrusive installation, does make me think that I'd be better focussing on finding the best car in the first instance and then look into LPG after I am settled with the car.

Annoyingly, I am finding that there are not so many cars for sale down here in the South West, and even the ones I see advertised further afield have the potential to be unloved examples (so not worth the travel to go look). There don't seem to be many on here for sale, but that in itself speaks volumes.

I hadn't considered LPG until mentioned on here, and I'm not trying to run the car on a tight budget, so not really too worried, it is far from a priority. Having said that I do cover over 25k miles per year, so even at only a smallish cost benefit I think my payback time might be fairly quick.

Of course the other stuff you said about insurance, the potential for the price to go up due to greedy suppliers or a greedy government, and the fact that it clearly is quite an intrusive installation, does make me think that I'd be better focussing on finding the best car in the first instance and then look into LPG after I am settled with the car.

Annoyingly, I am finding that there are not so many cars for sale down here in the South West, and even the ones I see advertised further afield have the potential to be unloved examples (so not worth the travel to go look). There don't seem to be many on here for sale, but that in itself speaks volumes.

The main reason that there are so few for sale on here is because we dont want to sell them; we love them. The secondry reason is that only "Gold" members have the right to sell on the forum. My status is "Established" (probably means long in the tooth ;) ) and like you, I havent paid to join. Gold members pay a subscription.

I started looking mid December and found one start of Feb. I'm in the South East and it felt like all the good ones came up hundreds of miles away. I was prepared to travel as far as was needed but could never get there before they were snapped up due to work etc. Then 'the one' came up just 40 miles away. I had the cash ready and waiting at home so got in their quick before anyone else. Full service history only 3 owners, 95,000 miles, cambelt done, top condition and a private seller. All for £2600. There are quite a few that come up on Autotrader, eBay and gumtree... yours is out there waiting for you, it's only a matter of time... :winky: Good luck. Stu

PS: I assume you have seen the dark blue 2000 MK IV on Autotrader down your way in Plymouth? It's with a trader at £3699 which is a bit much, but it does have a private plate which you could sell on. Maybe worth checking out.

Stu

PS: I assume you have seen the dark blue 2000 MK IV on Autotrader down your way in Plymouth? It's with a trader at £3699 which is a bit much, but it does have a private plate which you could sell on. Maybe worth checking out.

Stu

Yup I saw that one, and depending upon what SWMBO has planned for me this weekend I may go and take a look.

Thanks!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links