Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intermittent Starting Problem

Hi All,

Recently I've noticed my LS400 (95) won't start unless I move the gear selector about in park and then it starts. I had a similar problem with an XJ6 (X300) where I had to replace a switch underneath the gear selector. I wondered it this was a similar thing?

Anyone else had this problem?

Kind regards

Anthony

hi im new to all this as only jsut got my 96 ls400, mine has a similar starting problem but, think mine is more starter motor or associated wire connection problem. as when it doesnt start it clicks, but keep trying and eventually it starts.

After reading some posts on here about the starter I'm now getting worried haha. Hopefully it isn't as the job to replace it or the contacts sounds like a right bore ache! another day or two getting all mucky and messing with dodgy bolts I don't need!!

After reading some posts on here about the starter I'm now getting worried haha. Hopefully it isn't as the job to replace it or the contacts sounds like a right bore ache! another day or two getting all mucky and messing with dodgy bolts I don't need!!

If it clicks when trying to start it's 99% sure to be the starter contacts.

Eventually they wont connect and it's stuck where you are.

Long slow job [contacts are available], do it now before winter!

Having to move the gear lever about to get a connection is likely to be the inhibitor switch as you describe.

I agree. Tattoorick, it sounds like you've got the dreaded problem of failing starter motor contacts that some of us on here have also had. It will get worse, and the only solution is to replace the contacts - not an easy job because of where the starter motor is, but apparently easier on a Mk.111 than on a Mk.IV (?)

If you're having to move the gear lever around to get it to start, it's something else.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links