Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Dvd/tv Headunit....best Place To Fit Tv Aeriel

hi all

IS200 SE 2002

new headunit (7" double din DVD/TV player with detachable facia.....yes i live in london!) test fitted and all seems ok. have rear tinted windows (factory tints i believe). not quite sure where best to place the TV aeriel. obviously it would be best placed on the roof but just dont fancy having two aeriels up there (radio aeriel already up there!). would i get sufficient reception if i fit the TV aeriel on the inside of the rear window?

cheers

hi all

IS200 SE 2002

new headunit (7" double din DVD/TV player with detachable facia.....yes i live in london!) test fitted and all seems ok. have rear tinted windows (factory tints i believe). not quite sure where best to place the TV aeriel. obviously it would be best placed on the roof but just dont fancy having two aeriels up there (radio aeriel already up there!). would i get sufficient reception if i fit the TV aeriel on the inside of the rear window?

cheers

Make sure it is not even possible for the driver to view the TV picture when the car is moving because that is seriously illegal. The unit HAS to have automatic means of disabling TV or DVD pictures when the car is in motion if the screen is visible to the driver.

Also hope your new unit receives Digital TV Signals because the original London analog transmitter turns off for good in April next year.

Aerial position will be where it works best - just start off trying it out on a longish lead. Be warned, unless you are very close to Crystal Palace, DTV may not work well until April 2012 when the power is stepped up after the Digital Switchover.

thanks for the advice. brake control wire connected.

seems as if i've bought a unit with analoge tv :( will be needing a digi receiver now i guess.

for anyone else, best place for the aeriel....on the roof!

thanks for the advice. brake control wire connected.

seems as if i've bought a unit with analoge tv :( will be needing a digi receiver now i guess.

for anyone else, best place for the aeriel....on the roof!

A simple rod aerial is never going to work all that well but just might be good enough after the digital switchover in April next year when the Digital transmission power will be increased by a substantial amount. A special-purpose type (like caravanners use) aerial is really needed but it must be omnidirectional. With DTV there is no easy way to aim a directional aerial because you will get no sign whatsoever of a picture, sound or anything at all UNTIL it is pointed in the right direction. DTV is all or nothing. It is not like the analog signal where a noisy picture can be sorted by aiming the aerial for the best results. The only problem with efficient omnidirectional aerials is that they are conspicuous, ugly and look like a metal art-work. So don't settle on an aerial type or position or drill any holes until you have tried a DTV converter, and even then really not until after April 2012. Best to leave this project to one side until then........ or just give up.

thanks again for the advice. you certainly seem to know your stuff.

the unit is picking up a few tv channels at the moment so i may just take your advice and wait til April and see what comes. i'm not one to give up so will get this sorted at a later date.

by the way, if anyone is thinking of fitting a reverse camera.... do it, its great!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links