Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Changing Plugs On Is200

LittleSkink

Just picked up a old IS200. MOTs show a believable 70k miles and seems in pretty good nick but missing the 60k stamp in the service book - so got it for a sensible price (I hope)

It is ever so slightly hesitant to start but runs perfectly, I am guessing a new set of plugs might help - got a set on the way from MisterSolutions (way cheaper than local prices) but not sure how to swop the plugs in terms of tools needed and torque settings

I used to do a lot of work on big GSXR/GPZ bike engines in my youth, so got a variety of socket sets, plug sockets and torque wrench etc but not much in the way of socket extensions if access is an issue. Never had to work on a car as I have usually had the money to pay someone else but right now business is bad so needs must. Any top tips most welcome

Nothing to it, really. Need to remove the air box to access the coilpacks. These are held in with a bolt (I forget which size). Remove each coil pack and the spark plugs can be got to. Just do them one at a time so you don't mix the wiring up.

You will need a long extension bar as the sockets are a good few inches down inside the engine. To make life easy the last plug up beside the bulkhead needs a universal flexible joint on the top of the extension bar and then another extension bar back to the ratchet ( The whole thing is about a foot long!) but it makes that last one easy to get at an more importantly you are getting the socket on dead straight.

Use NGK V-Groove plugs. Best for jap engines.

**Get a timing belt done too!**

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links