Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Auto No Power After Jump Start

Hi, I'm new to this so don't know if there is already a post on this matter... I have a 2002 is200 auto and the Battery died, managed to jump start it and now the car starts but there is no response from the accelerator, the clocks don't work (mpg etc) and the car does not go into gear... Any suggestions to resolve this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

I'm very sorry to tell you but it sounds like a power surge from the jumpstart has fried some of the ECU's. I could be wrong but have you checked the fuses in the footwells and the engine bay to see if they've blown? Use a LED torch for this as it makes the job very easy to spot blown fuse. Hopefully it is just a few blown fuses otherwise you need the ECU's checked. Lexus can do this using the plug in computer for about the cost of an hours labour. Further investigative work will cost a hell of a lot more but the computer should tell them if there's a response from all the ECU's on the car.

It's maybe a bit late but when doing a jumpstart it is best to switch the headlights on the car being jump started and put the black cable to the body rather than putting it on the negative terminal on the Battery in order to minimise a surge.

I'd check all the fuses before getting too worried - if it was the ECU would the engine even start?

Possibly yes. There are many ECU's on the car and the main engine or immobiliser ones may not have been affected by the surge.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links