Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Noise From Gearbox I Think

T2000

Hi Guys,

Lexus 2004, 108000 miles. Last main full service at 80,000 miles - 2 years ago.

Just got in my car, been fine all day driving but when i was just about to leave to drop my wife off at work i pressed in my clutch and i could hear a very slight grinding noise. You wouldn't of been able to hear it outside the car. It felt like the driveshaft of something spinning but you could hear it perfectly. I released the clutch and it seemed to go but appeared when i pressed the clutch pedal down again to change to second gear. After that it had gone. I drove 2 miles up hill and used all gears and nothing. Dropped the wife off at work and then by the time i was about to change into second gear again i felt it very faintly.

It was like all the gears not having any oil/grease and you could feel the movement of everything spinning.

The car does just does motorway miles and has just passed its mot. Its a pretty good car and drives just like brand new. Never had a problem.

Is it the clutch about to go? didnt slip once though.

Last gearbox oil change was probably done on the 80,000 mile. Should i get that done?

Any ideas what it sounds like?

A quick update if anyone can help.

Drove to work 30 miles this morning and nothing. Drove back home 30 miles and just as i was pulling up and doing a 3 point turn in my street i heard it. Faint grinding noise when in neutral or clutch pressed. Once in gear or under any pressure from the clutch the noise is gone. Sounds right from the gearbox but cant feel any vibration from the gear stick or anywhere.

Anyone have a clue?

Actually its not a loud grinding noise. More like a whirring noise if that makes sense.

Drove to work 30 miles this morning and nothing. Drove back home 30 miles and just as i was pulling up and doing a 3 point turn in my street i heard it. Faint grinding noise when in neutral or clutch pressed. Once in gear or under any pressure from the clutch the noise is gone. Sounds right from the gearbox but cant feel any vibration from the gear stick or anywhere.

Anyone have a clue?

Actually its not a loud grinding noise. More like a whirring noise if that makes sense.

Does the clutch feel "stiff" when depressed? This sound like clutch bearing..if the clutch is original then I suggest getting a new clutch kit fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a clue?

Does the clutch feel "stiff" when depressed? This sound like clutch bearing..if the clutch is original then I suggest getting a new clutch kit fitted.

Hopefully this isn't the cause of the noise, but it's best to check anyway.

Try giving your front pulley wheel a wobble. You'll find this by looking between the engine and the radiator, and its the wheel at the bottom. If there's any lateral movement in it get it to the garage. The pulley wheel is attached to the crank and lateral movement will cause the crank to fail. If you catch it soon enough the garage will simply tighten up the pulley wheel to the correct torque.

• 1 month later...

Update:-

It's the clutch bearing. Release bearing or throwout bearing....well whatever it's called.

It's got worse with the cold weather. I called a garage in North London and they said it was that. They then said it would cost about £900 for a whole clutch change.....eek.

However they just told me to keep driving with it and as I just do motorway driving they said it will be fine for a while.

So now I need to find a cheaper place to do the work between Watford- st Albans area. I may buy the parts needed off eBay and see if that works out cheaper.

Hi mate.

It does sound like your clutch release bearing, it's nothing to worry about but i'd get it sorted as it'll only get worse.

It does mean a new clutch, you can get a complete kit for under 200 quid and a few hours under the car it's a bit cheaper than the garage price.

I'm up to north west London this weekend (old stomping ground) not too far from yourself message me your number and if i've got 5 i'll have a look for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate.

It does sound like your clutch release bearing, it's nothing to worry about but i'd get it sorted as it'll only get worse.

It does mean a new clutch, you can get a complete kit for under 200 quid and a few hours under the car it's a bit cheaper than the garage price.

I'm up to north west London this weekend (old stomping ground) not too far from yourself message me your number and if i've got 5 i'll have a look for you.

Sorry i missed your post. I was away. Oh and many thanks for the offer. The noise is intermittent but as i drive to manchester alot, the last thing i need is to break down so i'll get the car sorted very soon.

Ive got a part time mechanic who's a friend of a friend who said he will change the clutch and release bearing for me. He has done clutches before on many vehicles but not a lexus so is wondering how hard it will be to do. He has told me to buy the clutch off eBay to cut costs. I will get the Exedy type kit. Im just trying to get a diagram or something to show him how to do it to make things easier for him.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links