Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Troubl With Locking And Unlocking Is200

tom42

Help!!

I'm having trouble with the locking system on my IS200. The key fob was working fine up until last Sunday. I had locked the car as usual using the key fob but when i went to open it, it would not unlock. I tried to unlock the door and boot manually with the key but the key would not turn. Called the AA who said the only thing his computer was showing was if the key fob fails you would be able to unlock it manually (not what i wanted to hear).

In the end (cut a long story short)he had to break in. However even though the locks weren't damamged the problem now is I can't lock the car. can't lock it manually as the key still won't turn and don't think it's the keyfob as there was plenty of life in the existing Battery and even changed the Battery etc etc. Can anybody tell me

** what they think the problem is?

** How much could it potentiall cost??

** Can it be sorted by me (person who knows nothing about cars)or does it have to be garaged etc?

Appreciate someone help please!!

Cheers

Have you sprayed some wd40 or similar into the lock barrel just in case they have corroded from lack of use? I had the same thing happen on my E36 BMW and mk1 GS300 Sport - key not turning the lock that is, the fobs always worked ok. Either that or someone has changed the ignition barrel at some point and not changed the full lock set.

No idea on fob not working, the rolling codes sometimes go out of sync so may be that. To resync on the GS it involved taking the Battery out of the fob, while you were sat in the car, keep the unlock button pressed for 30 seconds (while the Battery is out) then put the Battery back in and it would work again.

Hi TigerFish. When you take the Battery out of the fob is the with the ignition on / car running?

Haven't got a clue what happened to it though because it was working fine when I locked it and when i come back 1 hour later it wouldn't open (strange one)

I had a bit of trouble with the fob last year and had to change the Battery in it. While it was "playing up" i used to lock the door manually so no trouble with the key then.

Thanks TigerFish I'll try both your suggestions :-))

When AA broke into the car he could not open the door because it was "deadlocked" so he reached the boot release to open the boot and my 10 yr old daughter had to climb through and switch the ignition on and put the window down (because she could not open the door from the inside).I'm just wondering if the car memory still thinks the car is locked????

Very confusing for someone who know nothing about cars especially the gadgety stuff

Removing the Battery was just done sat in the car with nothing switched on and key/fob in hand held near centre console.

If the key worked in the barrel before, then it sounds most likely to be corroded/dirty barrels.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links