Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Red Flashing Light To Right Of Steering Wheel (Whilst Driving)

Just come back from looking at a GS300 P reg.

During the test drive I noticed a red light flashing to the right of the steering wheel - The owner said it was to do with the imobilliser and it had done it for the last two years since he's had the car.

A flashing red light would indicate to me that something is not quite right - Surely it should go out when the car is being driven?

There is no key-fob remote locking or alarm remote, just a normal key to operate the central locking.

Could there be a problem?

Simple answer is YES. I wouldn't touch it myself. The light usually flashes when the ignition is off and key removed to indicate immobiliser active. Could be any number of reasons but I would think that your immobiliser is inoperative. Also no fob means no alarm. These, technically, should be notified to your insurer in order to not invalidate your cover.

Lots of good ones out there but you seem to be looking at lemons. Don't just go for cheap, it may turn out to be very expensive in the long run.

Thanks for the help, Dave.

All of my questions so far have been about the same car which I've only just had a chance to view today.

I would definately avoid it in that case. If he has so many things which he has not bothered to fix over a couple of years then it hs not been cared for and I would guess that he is getting rid before other faults become impossible to hide.

Like Dave1 says keep looking it is a buyer's market with plenty of choice.

If the original master key is missing it could be that the alarm has been bypassed as the key should have a transponder matched to the security system.

Also if the car Battery ever goes flat and needs changing you may have a problem resetting the alarm and if that happens the engine won't start.

Like Dave1 says keep looking it is a buyer's market with plenty of choice.

If the original master key is missing it could be that the alarm has been bypassed as the key should have a transponder matched to the security system.

Also if the car battery ever goes flat and needs changing you may have a problem resetting the alarm and if that happens the engine won't start.

My Mk 1 GS 300 had 2 master keys plus the "valet" key but the alarm and RCL was on a separate fob which contains the transponder which I'm sure we had 3 of. The fact that there is no fob means that, as you say, various problems could happen. It is very likely that the current key is not a master key and the immobiliser is bypassed/faulty.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links