Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Complete Exhaust System Or Back Box?

Hello guys! Im new to the club and this is my first post.

Ive been thinking about getting a new exhaust but don't know if i should get a complete system or just the hks silent hi power exhaust! what are the benefits of getting a complete system? I don't want anything noisy thats why I have narrowed it down to the hks silent. Im after power gains and responsiveness.

Question is whether this is the best way to get more power.

If you sell your IS200, you'll fetch similar money for it as for an IS300 of the same age and mileage... You get 70bhp in the swap, loads more torque, an LSD and a few more toys... and you still have an original car ;)

The OEM system has good gas flow, so there will be absolutely no power gain or change in reponsiveness with any system you fit. People will say there are improvements but these are 99% illusory and due to most sytems making more noise or having a sweeter sound.

The OEM system has good gas flow, so there will be absolutely no power gain or change in reponsiveness with any system you fit. People will say there are improvements but these are 99% illusory and due to most sytems making more noise or having a sweeter sound.

Very true. The only way to gain power by putting new hardware is to tell the engine map that it can use this new hardware. Otherwise, there is no gain what so ever.

Thanks for your replies guys!

I cant find any is300s and the few which are out there are priced too damn high!

From what ive read on the forums I thought a pannel filter and exhaust system would give me at least 10-15 extra bhp and better acceleration. So my first step was the exhaust but don't know if a full system is the way to go.

if you can get that amount of power from a pannel filter and exhaust i wouldnt have bought a charger..

you will be lucky to see 5 bhp with an exhaust and panel filter and you will not notice that either..the only way you can get power from these engines is through supercharging or turboing........

as for a 300 with more toys em depends on the 200's spec if you have the sport the 200 has a lsd and most of what the 300 has...

think all the 200 sport is missing is hid lights which can be fitted and a auto box(regardles of the buttons on the steering wheel)which i hate i just dont do autos

I cant find any is300s and the few which are out there are priced too damn high!

From what ive read on the forums I thought a pannel filter and exhaust system would give me at least 10-15 extra bhp and better acceleration. So my first step was the exhaust but don't know if a full system is the way to go.

To see what the best, most free-flowing filter in the world could do to improve things - just take out the existing filter element and see what that does - absolutely nothing except for more induction noise. Yes, a better filter could allow more air to flow; but only if the engine tried to suck more in - which it won't unless you fit something like a charger. The same thing applies to Induction Kits which will also not make a scrap of difference - even Lexus would have fitted 50p's worth of nicely-shaped plastic pipe if it was that easy to boost power.

There are no simple gizmos, fuels, additives or any cheap way to noticeably boost performance by any extent greater than shutting the driver's window if it is open; but plenty of firms supplying stuff that allows you to prove this for yourself.

Thats not what I wanted to hear mate! Ive had the car 6 months and I need more power now! Its slightly boring me to be honest. Thought an exhaust, filter and remap eventually would do the trick.

Ive got the bog standard s. And like u cant stand autos, maybe when im 60! If I drop an is200 engine in there will I also need to change the manual gear box?

Have thought about supercharging it but heard its 2k! How much did your conversion cost and was it worth it?

Thats not what I wanted to hear mate! Ive had the car 6 months and I need more power now! Its slightly boring me to be honest. Thought an exhaust, filter and remap eventually would do the trick. Ive got the bog standard s. And like u cant stand autos, maybe when im 60! If I drop an is300 engine in there will I also need to change the manual gear box? Have thought about supercharging it but heard its 2k! How much did your conversion cost and was it worth it?

The IS200 ECU can't be remapped. The IS300 engine won't fit the IS200 gearbox - you would have to get the manual gearbox from a Toyota ......... (can't remember the model) plus a different exhaust system and a few other bits. Plus you should ideally fit a LSD. All this involves a lot of work & money. You would be much better off with an IS300 and might even be pleasantly surprised by its auto - it is definitely no Grandad's car. See if you can try one.

Other than that, the IS200 is NOT a performance car or anywhere near it except with a supercharger - and even then although quicker, it is likely to be thirstier than the IS300 and cost much more to insure.

mate i almost fell off my seat laughin sorry the rx8 is NOT a good car in fact they are shocking and worth nothing now and very expensive if anything goes wrong..

yes the charger is 2k then you have fitting(i do all my own work)but in my eyes it was well worth it just the noise alone is worth it ill post a video up

http://youtu.be/S17v5hPeXsM

I like the car its the smoothest ride ive had but just a lil sluggish. Oh well, RX8 it is then!

The higher output RX8 is nice to drive but has many very expensive reliabilty problems - but the worst feature is fuel economy that is so bad it is almost impossible to believe. Maybe that is why they are so cheap?

There are actually 2 IS300's for sale on this forum for a price that you will get also from your IS200.

Go and spend £260 on parts for an exhaust, plus a few hundred on labour, and you will have spent one fifth of the price of a good IS300 of the generation of your car...

And you won't get any of the power returns you expect.

The charger sounds nuts mate!!!!! Thats something I dont have the money for! Saw one for £2,400....nearly the price of my lex!!

Ive driven a few rx8s and they drive good, really good! I heard about all the engine problems but all that was supposed to be sorted by the 2006 models. Which go for around £3,500 which ain't bad. I did sack off the idea but now im being told ive basically got to invest £2,500 in my before seeing any gains, its completely thrown me off track...dont know what to do now!

The charger sounds nuts mate!!!!! Thats something I dont have the money for! Saw one for £2,400....nearly the price of my lex!!

Ive driven a few rx8s and they drive good, really good! I heard about all the engine problems but all that was supposed to be sorted by the 2006 models. Which go for around £3,500 which ain't bad. I did sack off the idea but now im being told ive basically got to invest £2,500 in my before seeing any gains, its completely thrown me off track...dont know what to do now!

RX8s have a lot of strange problems - even issues with starter motors. Again the bad feature is economy which is a lot worse than my 5L V8 ISF for much less grunt. But you can be lucky & get one already sorted (except mpg and using a drop of oil - both inherent) and take a chance on possible big bills in exchange for a low up-front price. It is an interesting car that drives very well. There are two versions, and only the higher power output one is likely to satisfy you.

easiest way ive found to go faster if im out in my is200 is to go home and drag my evo m3 out for a blast.

i love my lexus but it is no super sport,but the m3 is very poor on fuel and drives like a john deere tractor with an awful clutch+gearbox[ive had 3 of them and they are all the same],i have never found a happy medium with just one car.

personally i would not go down the supercharger/turbocharger route,or any mods to the is 200,its a nice small luxury car,nippy but not mega fast but comfy/classy+normally reliable,pretty cheap insurance group considering the spec.

as for the mazda option,i nearly fell off my seat,ive driven one my friend bought new after trading in his type r,he loathed it that badly he tried to buy his old civic back off the garage he bought the mazda from!!!!,but they had sold it already and would not buy the mazda back off him with 1k/one month old,he eventually sold it privately losing £6k in 3 months,the mazda was worse on fuel than my evolution 3.2 bmw.

anyway its your money+your choice at the end of the day.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links