Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Loss Of Power - Need Advice!

mcwatson

Hi,

A long time since I've posted on here but was hoping to seek some advice from those with more knowledge than me under the bonnet!

I have a Lexus IS200 Sport, 51 plate and just clicked over 162k miles. Had the care from day 1 (over 10 years) and have loved every minute. Apart from normal wear and tear items, have only ever had to have the clutch replaced. Car is serviced every 10k miles without fail, by main dealer up to 100k miles, then local garages since. Cam belt was changed on 85k miles.

I now have a problem where it seems to have lost some power. Approx 5 weeks ago, noticed it didn't accelerate properly, thought it may just go away but hasn't. The symptoms are as follows:-

• Have to be in a low gear to get any decent speed up a hill.
  • On the motorway, absolutely gutless and acceleration sometimes dips when I put the foot to the floor. Almost like it goes into limp mode or you know when you put the AC on and the power dips.
  • Fuel consumption has worsened. Used to get approx. 380 miles out of tank, now lucky to get 330.
  • Had a recent problem where the radiator has had a very slight leak and has been hungry on coolant. Ran a tin of rad weld through it, overheating has stopped although still drinks coolant.

I've tried to find a local person who can plug into the car but everyone says no to a lexus. They recommend going to a main dealer. I spoke to them but they said if there is no engine light on, there is no problem. I've tried disconnecting the Battery for a period of time to reset the ECU.

A friend has said it's likely to be a sensor but we're not sure how to diagnose that.

Does anyone have any advice?

Marc_is200 has just done a similar post titled "Engine problem" describing the same symptoms apart from overheating. Turned out to be the clutch. (its about 4 or 5 posts below this one)

As said i had a similar problem, mine was the clutch slipping but it got worse over a period of a week or two, until eventually the clutch decided it didnt want to play ball anymore and give up. Had it replaces at a cost of £300 including part and labour for a local garage to replace it. Now the car drives like new.

I wouldn't say to use a main dealer and it could end up being costly, try to find a garage with a good reputation that will take a look at it for you, as with anything engine related could be anything.

WIth previous cars ive always had there are alot of cowboy garages about.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just thought I'd update on what the issue was with my car that I raised an issue on back in March. It turned out to be a blocked catalytic converter!!

Got it replaced with a new one and the car is back to it's normal self! All symptoms have gone and I'm delighted as not only was it awful to drive but the cost of a new cat isn't a cheap 'guess' to hope that was the problem.

All the best to everyone!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links