Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all,

Quick question about winter tyres - I have a complete set of tyres from my old IS300 (215/45/17) and was wondering if they would be suitable for use on my IS250. It is running on 225/40/18 front and 255/40/18 rear. I guess the issues are ride height, tyre diameter and stud pattern. If the speed sensor comes from the front wheels then I think it should be okay - tyre diameter is only 1.9% different. The rear at a bit more than 5% and therefore more of a problem.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Errr - yeah I get that bit! I was going to fit the 17" wheels to the IS250 (I have a full set of 17" alloys I bought for the IS300 and have found the stud patern is the same) so was just wondering what the impact of using a smaller diameter tyre on the IS250 would be - as in where is the speed sensor - front or rear wheels?

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I went through the "winter tyre" decision this time last year.

I decided it was not viable, for me.

Apart from that, the idea of using and paying for "tyre hotels" seems to be faintly ridiculous.

Luckily for me we had a mild Winter!

No problems driving on the factory fitted BridgestoneTuranzas

My wife had the best solution.

Don't use the car when it's snowing!

You then save an awful lot of money :-)

I was in contact with a well known tyre manufacturers Technical and Motor Sport representative re. fitting Winter tyres.

He alerted me to potential problems when the wheel diameters are changed in any way.

The difference in diameter could compromise the car's systems.

On our Lexus cars, this would include :

Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management, Sat Nav etc.

I hope that is of use to you.

Let us know what you decide to do please.

Aregento

Additionally, it would be a good idea to check with/notify your insurance company as, in the event of an accident, you may find that they won't cover you if you didn't inform them of any 'modifications'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Quick question about winter tyres - I have a complete set of tyres from my old IS300 (215/45/17) and was wondering if they would be suitable for use on my IS250. It is running on 225/40/18 front and 255/40/18 rear. I guess the issues are ride height, tyre diameter and stud pattern. If the speed sensor comes from the front wheels then I think it should be okay - tyre diameter is only 1.9% different. The rear at a bit more than 5% and therefore more of a problem.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

I have an IS250 F sport also with 225/40/18 front & 255/40/18 rear that I am going to put winter tyres on. I would like to put 225/40/18 all round for winter as I think 255's are wide for snow but not sure if possible (are rear wheels wider) or if allowed (covered insurance wise)

Can anyone advise ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links