Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Picked Up An Oem Nav Dash Unit - Retro Fit Tomtom?

matt-c

Stumbled on a bit of a bargain and got hold of the older, smaller (5inch?) Nav dash units. Bargain because the screen flickers - not a problem for me as I was never going to use the stock screen anyway!

ejyko7.jpg

What I want to do is rip the screen out, get a 5" TomTom (Start 25 or XXL Classic), rip the casing off that, fit it in place of the stock screen, with some custom wiring to do the following;

1) TomTom only powers up, and down, when the unit is opened and closed respectively.

2) Only have a power feed going to it when the ignition is on (so when ignition is turned off, no power goes to the TomTom)

3) Have it set in a way that it doesn't open when the ignition is turned on, but does close when the ignition is turned off. but also so that the open/close button, and tilt button, are fully useable (while ignition is on).

Reason being is that the majority of the time I use the car, I just want to jump in and shoot off to the shops/supermarket/pub/mates/etc, and I don't need a sat nav for that. So rather than it constantly opening and turning the TomTom on when I start the car, I'd rather it do nothing, and only turn the TomTom on when I press the open button. Then when I am using it, and have got to where I want to go, and kill the ignition, I can be lazy and not have to press the close button, but rather kill the ignition, and the unit close and the TomTom shut off.

But here's the problem - I know NOTHING about electronics! Not a sausage! I wouldn't even know where to begin - no clue about stripping a TomTom down and modifying it's wiring for power on etc, and not even a clue about how to splice in the power feed to operate the Nav motor and buttons either (my car didn't come with Nav, so no sub loom behind the dash to plug into for power, etc)

Sooo, I'm looking for help from people MUCH more knowledgeable than me!

Thought it over a bit more and decided not to do it. It's just work out as a very expensive sat nav that I'd very rarely use, and one that's then IS200/300 specific, so I've listed it on eBay instead!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links