Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have loved the last 2.5 years in my GS300 SE-L. have done about 75K miles, reasonably trouble free (apart from Lexus MK getting my fuel pump rewire wrong and breaking down 3 times as a result)

I now have a slight grumble from front end. i thought it was wheel bearings and have changed drivers front side. I have new brakes and discs all round. The noise is still there, but my mates garage thinks the tyres are flat spotted due to age ( i am kind to tyres i guess). He thinks the noise goes away when i change the tyres.

it is due a service end of Jan and was going to get two new fronts at the same time.

i cant help thinking its time to change as she has 102k on the clock now, and may start costing a lot of money.

i do mainly motorway miles, and need a reliable car.

Any thoughts on whether its time to change to avoid big bills, or shall i keep as others have not had big bills at similar miles.

PG

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say keep.

But budget for £1600 a year (£130 a month) for repairs. My GS 300 SE MkIII (2005) cost me in repairs £810 in 2011 (inc water pump / front shocks / front brakes discs - pads), and £2100 in 2012 (inc hid unit / 4 tyres (Dunlop Sport) / rear shocks / rear brakes pads-discs / rear calipers).

Maybe I'll pay out nothing in 2013, but I'll be budgeting £1600 anyway.

I guess its unlikely to cost you less than a couple of thousand to change your car, and unless you buy a motor still under manufacturers warranty you'll still be at risk of sudden repair bills.

MickeyGS

Cheers Micky,

Just done a £500 service and a couple of tyres.

Test drove a couple of BMWs in the week and have to say it made my mind up.

I am going to stick with the Lexus. It drives so much better than anything i have test drove. So i would be mad to change.

Two new tyres seems to have sorted the grumble. So i guess the flat spot on older tyres was right. seemed an odd explanation, but the car had sat at the airport for 3 weeks without turning a wheel, so the flat spot is feasible. the new ones seem to have done the trick.

Going to keep her going for at least another year, and will take your advise on allowing a few quid each month for repairs if they crop up. I have new discs and pads all round, new tyres, just serviced so should be OK for a while.

I have enjoyed the car a lot ,and will continue to do so for a while longer, and probably look at another Lexus in the future.

Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links