Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just been kicking around the web for info on tyres, as I need two new fronts, replacing some ContiPremierContacts (one with puncture, one can be used as new spare).

In previous LS400 I had Nexen, and it tramlined like crazy (some parts of the M5 are obviously very soft)

So I read a report on Tyre Reviews where a LS400 owner says asymmetric tyres tend to tramline on a 400.

First I have ever heard, and looking at my Contis they do not appear to symmetric, and it drives fine even on the M5

I am thinking of Uniroyal Rain Expert or Dunlop Sports, and they appear to asymmetric patterns.

So I am a bit confused. I do not do a lot of Motorway driving, but found the tramling on previous a very disconcerting experience on my trips up North.

I know some will talk about Falken, etc, I just want a tyre that is quite, grippy and reasonable price for a Mk4.

I rarely go above 70, as I am mainly A Road man and so need to deal with the rubbish surface of your average Cotswold run.

I need to do something in the next week ahead of MOT, so any comments welcome.

NOTE: The Nexens were absolutely terrible and no doubt contributed to the side swipe skid that saw the old one off the scrapper.

Just been kicking around the web for info on tyres, as I need two new fronts, replacing some ContiPremierContacts (one with puncture, one can be used as new spare).

In previous LS400 I had Nexen, and it tramlined like crazy (some parts of the M5 are obviously very soft)

So I read a report on Tyre Reviews where a LS400 owner says asymmetric tyres tend to tramline on a 400.

First I have ever heard, and looking at my Contis they do not appear to symmetric, and it drives fine even on the M5

I am thinking of Uniroyal Rain Expert or Dunlop Sports, and they appear to asymmetric patterns.

So I am a bit confused. I do not do a lot of Motorway driving, but found the tramling on previous a very disconcerting experience on my trips up North.

I know some will talk about Falken, etc, I just want a tyre that is quite, grippy and reasonable price for a Mk4.

I rarely go above 70, as I am mainly A Road man and so need to deal with the rubbish surface of your average Cotswold run.

NOTE: The Nexens were absolutely terrible and no doubt contributed to the side swipe skid that saw the old one off the scrapper.

Heres a link for Falkens at £83 a corner + £3 P&P I have never had a problem tramligning unless of course its a really bad road surface Mike

Heres a link for Falkens at £83 a corner + £3 P&P I have never had a problem tramligning unless of course its a really bad road surface Mike

Never had a problem in a 400 or 430 - you need to keep an eye on your tyre pressures and alignment if you have steering probs. It is also a good idea to check your suspension. Problems are often masked at low speed.

Be safe

Bren

Mike, could not find link on your reply.

Cant get much more stupid than that. Another senior moment. here we go. http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b747s424p97846/Falken_Tyres_Car_Falken_ZE912_Ziex_Falken_ZE_912_-_225_60_R16_98W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_G_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB/RS_GB

Cant get much more stupid than that. Another senior moment. here we go. http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b747s424p97846/Falken_Tyres_Car_Falken_ZE912_Ziex_Falken_ZE_912_-_225_60_R16_98W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_G_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB/RS_GB

Cheers Mike,

By the way does the fuel efficiency rating really make any difference, in the past I have tried supposed fuel efficient tyres on big cars and can't say I noticed any difference even when doing 15,000 miles per year.

Cheers Mike,

By the way does the fuel efficiency rating really make any difference, in the past I have tried supposed fuel efficient tyres on big cars and can't say I noticed any difference even when doing 15,000 miles per year.

I cant comment on that as I have never taken any notice if one tyre is better than another like that. I read on here that these Falkens were made by Dunlops and were the direct replacement for the tyres that the cars came with from the originally from the factory.

Considering the state of our roads what noise you get from your tyres is a bit of a joke. I notice when I have gone across the channel and you get onto their superbly smooth and quiet roads that inside the LS then is fantastically quiet. My car is LPG so my fuel bills are small. Mike.

I used to get terrible tramlining problems with the Pireilli P Zeros but since I have started using Falkens the problem has disappeared. I am now on my 3rd set of Falkens.

Steve.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links