Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tuning Noobie Here!

Hi guys,

im a newbie don't really know much about cars ect...but wanted some advice from most people here i got a lexus is200 standard, i want to make it a bit faster & a bit more powerful i got told i could remap the car but when i called the place that does it they told me that remapping the car wouldn't do anything and i wouldn't really notice a difference but then i got told today that i could look into a stage 2 upgrade could somebody help me please?

Sorry but the only way to really tune the is200 is turbocharging or supercharger, obviously either way is'nt cheap. Chips dont make any difference on these engines, so i'm LED to beleive.

Haven't tried to do mine, just bits of info i have picked up. I'm sure other members will be along who know more about engine tuning.

Sorry but the only way to really tune the is200 is turbocharging or supercharger, obviously either way is'nt cheap. Chips dont make any difference on these engines.

Thanks for the fast reply, stupid moment, but when you say turbocharging i guess you mean just putting a turbo in the car? so far my budget is around the 2K mark which isn't a lot i guess for what i'm asking for is there anything you recommend for this kinda budget?

If you can find one the tte supercharger kit goes for around £2k, and its a bolt on job and can be done in around 4hrs purely because it was sold by toyota as a retro fit so pretty much plug and play.

Hi guys,

im a newbie don't really know much about cars ect...but wanted some advice from most people here i got a lexus is200 standard, i want to make it a bit faster & a bit more powerful i got told i could remap the car but when i called the place that does it they told me that remapping the car wouldn't do anything and i wouldn't really notice a difference but then i got told today that i could look into a stage 2 upgrade could somebody help me please?

Hi mate speak to a member on here called 'sparkystav' he woulb be able to point you the right direction with regards to Turboing your IS as he is running a turbo and as confirmed by Ian you could Supercharge them aswell.

Turbo is way more expensive so I've been told. Supercharger is about £2k as Ian says, if you're lucky enough to find one for sale.

thanks for the reply, iv'e found a kit so far which seems to be selling with the actual car for £2000

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/lexus-is-200-with-tte-supercharger-kit-project/1012722287#gallery-item-full-5

but the kit looks kinda battered to me?

what sort of power ratings are you looking to achieve Jalil.?

umm if im honest mate im not really too sure possibly around the 220bhp mark ive just noticed that for a 2ltr car its pretty slugish as standard (my personal opinion anyway)

Turbo it, there's a lad on another forum that's just welded a new flange to a 1jz turbo manifold to make a cheap manifold for the 1gfe. Makes the cost of a cheap turbo kit plummet!

sorry mate you've totally lost me there buddy haha

It costs quite a bit to turbo the Lexus because parts are rare. A company called ikengineering make a manifold but its not cheap.

If you cut the flange of a single turbo manifold for a 1jzgte and reweld on a flange that matches the is200's engines head then its a lot cheaper cause the 1jz manifolds are very popular so can be picked up cheaper. Then use a turbo off a Nissan or something. Cheap as chips.

hey Sparky what are you pushing from your twin turbo setup at the mo? saw you on youtube hitting 0-60 in 6 secs.

Don't have twins anymore. Currently running a single gt3071r turbo. Invested in a new intercooler and inlet this winter.

Just finishing off tucking the final wires in the engine bay and smoothing it some more and itll be back on the road.

It costs quite a bit to turbo the Lexus because parts are rare. A company called ikengineering make a manifold but its not cheap.

If you cut the flange of a single turbo manifold for a 1jzgte and reweld on a flange that matches the is200's engines head then its a lot cheaper cause the 1jz manifolds are very popular so can be picked up cheaper. Then use a turbo off a Nissan or something. Cheap as chips.

oh right i see what you mean, so in reality how much of a budget could this be done on? im guessing it would be abit more than £2K

oh right i see what you mean, so in reality how much of a budget could this be done on? im guessing it would be abit more than £2K

Maybe not

Manifold £150

Welding - free if you do it?

Turbo £100 for second hand

Black box will do if staying below 0.3 bar - £70

Intercooler - £100

Pipework and hoses - £100

Filter - £50

Down pipe fabrication by exhaust shop - £150 to £200

That's if you search for parts, and fit it yourself.

• Like 1

Maybe not

Manifold £150

Welding - free if you do it?

Turbo £100 for second hand

Black box will do if staying below 0.3 bar - £70

Intercooler - £100

Pipework and hoses - £100

Filter - £50

Down pipe fabrication by exhaust shop - £150 to £200

That's if you search for parts, and fit it yourself.

that is pretty cheap, are there any cons to do it this way? what kinda power output am i looking at doing it this way?

what sort of power ratings are you looking to achieve Jalil.?

umm if im honest mate im not really too sure possibly around the 220bhp mark ive just noticed that for a 2ltr car its pretty slugish as standard (my personal opinion anyway)

220bhp will be a quick IS200 and will hang with most hothatches all day long but since you are a novice like me when it comes to Turbo charging, I can recommend two options.

1. sell your IS200 and buy the IS300. it pushes 210bhp, the whole car will fall into your modding budget, its good for 7 secs to 60mph and on a good day can kiss 150mph on the speedometer. thing with the IS300 is its not got a jaw dropping BHP figure but because the engine and gearbox is very responsive it gains speed very easily so by the time a Turbo hothatch like an Audi S3 is waiting for thier Turbo to spool up, you are already on CAM with the VVTi and gone :-)
  2. sell your IS and buy a Turbo charged car like Subaru WRX, or Mazda MPS most WRX's between 02-03plate can be picked up for £3-3.5K just like this one below. how does 5.9secs 0-60 sound bud ??

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301305118141/sort/default/usedcars/price-from/2000/price-to/4000/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/fuel-type/petrol/body-type/saloon/model/impreza/make/subaru/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/2/postcode/lu63hp/radius/200?logcode=p

It's not going to look pretty, but your looking at a safe 200bhp IMHO.

that's ok, sorry for all the questions im just rather curious, so ther'd be no chance of blowing up my engine or falts is there doing it this way? as im more drawn to this side now lol

Its funny how so many ppl buy these cars and expect them to be fast lol

Its like every week i see "how do i make my IS200 faster" they werent designed to be fast and is not that type of car.

If you supercharge it you'll get what you want just, if you can justify the cost. Ive read a SC IS200 is faster than a stock IS300, but it still wont be blistering performance...

Its funny how so many ppl buy these cars and expect them to be fast lol

Its like every week i see "how do i make my IS200 faster" they werent designed to be fast and is not that type of car.

If you supercharge it you'll get what you want just, if you can justify the cost. Ive read a SC IS200 is faster than a stock IS300, but it still wont be blistering performance...

ah i know right, dont get me wrong im not a racer person at all i don't know nothing about cars and i only bought the lexus because it was black and had cream leather looks classy so i was just like oh yeah, but didnt really realise how slow they were lol im driving and im seeing corsa's take off quicker than me thats not cool lol

lol tbh when i was researching these cars waaay back i was shocked when i saw the performance figures,not that it bothered me as i wasnt looking for a fast car but yeah i can see how the looks might of given you misconceptions. When i see boys racers in there little hot hatches i just sit back and enjoy the ride, knowing that they look ridiculous in there miniature fart cans with constant back pains, but thats just me, im sure they love there fart cans... Ive always preferred luxury cars... but i have to admit ive looked into getting a IS300 or GS430 now :whistling: best of both worlds....but dont know if i can justify the MPG for those extra horses i would occasionally use

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links