Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do I Have A Tracker?

Hello

Today we (the misses and I) have become the proud owners of a 57 plate rx400h - very nice motor! Anyway when we came to change insurance over they told us we need a tracker to cover for theft. How do I know if we have one? Are the fitted as standard? Would lexus be able to tell me?

Cheers

Try another insurer. I was also told this by my "usual" insurer but I quickly found another (NU Direct) who were happy to cover without a tracker. Trackers cost £3-500 to install and you also have to pay an annual contract fee of about £150 for the SIM (the card in a mobile phone) which it uses to alert the tracking company to a theft.

You do not have a tracker, never been fitted as standard so far as I am aware. Then try other insurers, unless you live in a particularly difficult area there should be no problem in getting insurance without - especially for an older car with lower net worth.

In my other car I installed a £20 tracker I bought from fleeBay, got £20 off insurance too :whistling: The only extra cost is PAYG SIM card, which costs me about £5 every couple of months, will be more if you keep checking where your car is every second, in which case a contract SIM with unlimited texts will be better.

Thanks for the responses. My misses has already paid the difference uptil june, when im sure ill get us a better deal.

Hi,

Feel free to give us a try if you like when your policies up for renewal.

Remember club members can receive a discount of upto 15%

Regards,

Dan.

It appears this model has gone up in price a bit, since I bought it in late summer 2011 ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200851101818

I've no connection to either the seller or the manufacturer, whoever they are :)

Wow that is a nice little Gadget for the price and the insurance saving potential the thing will make a profit in a couple of years. However I would like a discrete installation so the cigarette light jack doesn't appeal. How did you install yours and did get a chance to track the car when it was abroad?

Lastly are you a Linux dude? That penguin... O_o

It appears this model has gone up in price a bit, since I bought it in late summer 2011 ...

I've no connection to either the seller or the manufacturer, whoever they are :)

Wow that is a nice little Gadget for the price and the insurance saving potential the thing will make a profit in a couple of years. However I would like a discrete installation so the cigarette light jack doesn't appeal. How did you install yours and did get a chance to track the car when it was abroad?

This tracker actually comes with a hard-wiring set, even got its own splash-proof fuse, so I hard-wired it and put it inside the top rear spoiler (Mercedes A-class) - impossible to spot, the only disadvantage is I can't see the unit (well, no one can) , so indicators are pretty useless. It works fine through the thin plastic, only this car never was abroad ... I do check it often when I'm myself away though - as long as you can receive a text, you can track it. You send a query text and it replies with coordinates - position shows up in Google Maps or similar.

Yes, I still play with Linux when I have time, even though my main systems are OSX. Linux is like a first love ... can't forget ;) Actually, I might bring some back into action - will be looking into a SCADA setup soon, and there are a few nice ones out there. That'll be fun!

This tracker actually comes with a hard-wiring set, even got its own splash-proof fuse, so I hard-wired it and put it inside the top rear spoiler (Mercedes A-class) - impossible to spot, the only disadvantage is I can't see the unit (well, no one can) , so indicators are pretty useless. It works fine through the thin plastic, only this car never was abroad ... I do check it often when I'm myself away though - as long as you can receive a text, you can track it. You send a query text and it replies with coordinates - position shows up in Google Maps or similar.

Yes, I still play with Linux when I have time, even though my main systems are OSX. Linux is like a first love ... can't forget ;) Actually, I might bring some back into action - will be looking into a SCADA setup soon, and there are a few nice ones out there. That'll be fun!

I play with Linux all the time including right now, all my systems are Linux part from the 5% I spend on the work related documentation stuff on my Windows 7 laptop.

I just googled SCADA very geek stuff you want to hook that up to a GPS receiver Personally I want a tracker that can send me location data across international borders, I think EU is easier and cheaper to achieve, on a roaming mobile profile.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links