Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chilling In The Heat

After about a month with my 400h its fair to say I really love the car and believe it is the right choice.There are one or two things that frustrate/worry me though.

Whilst not wishing to offend fellow Hybrids I confess to a dirty habit .

In the summer when its really hot the car can be a haven of cool tranquility. When waiting for someone or an appointment time in my last car I could set the climate control and sit with the engine running watching the on board TV in relaxed cooled comfort.

I know I know what you are thinking that nasty smelly diesel and destroying the planet.

The same is going to apply when its minus 3 and I want to sit in the warm.

From what I have experienced so far this cannot be done in the 400h. i also miss the telly and wonder if anyone has fitted one.

Unless some one can tell me different this is a defiante downside with the car even sitting listening to the radio for an hour or so could potentially discharge the aux Battery.

Any views experiences or solutions would be much appreciated

All the best

Chris

From what I have experienced so far this cannot be done in the 400h.

I don't really understand why you think this?

With the car in 'Ready' state the electric AC will operate fine. Once the hybrid Battery gets low the engine will come on to charge (with the transmission in Park) and then cut out again.

Similar thing for heat in the winter expect the heat comes from the petrol engine (on the 400h) so it will run more, it may still cut in and out depending on the temperature or it may keep running all the time. Or just put your seat heater on with the climate system turned off, that way the engine will only cycle once the hybrid Battery gets low.

If you want to sit and listen to the radio for an hour or so then you really should be in 'Ready' so your aux Battery isn't being drained (in fact it will be charged if necessary) but you will have the engine cut in and out. Or find some way to fit a much larger capacity aux Battery.

Yes I can support for my new RX450h what Colin has described .

Waiting for my wife to renew her Library books, I used to listen to the radio in the Accessory position until after about 10 minutes I got a message "High Battery Drain" (or some such words) so I turned everything off pretty quick! I talked to my Lexus centre and they told me to switch on to the "Ready" position while in "Park" when listening to the radio and then the HV Battery would actually charge up the 12v Battery! It works.

Like you Chris I am delighted with the car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links