Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Front Suspension Refresh

jigmaster flash

after 160000 miles my 98 ls400 has had a fair few quid thrown at it this year to keep her in decent condition, the only area left that needs attention is the front suspension.

the front suspension has the odd squeak (usually upon braking/coming to a stop) and feels a bit looser/wallowy than it did a year ago - definitely doesn't take potholes etc as smoothly as it should.

I've got to replace all 4 tyres soon and will be getting Hunter alignment done, so refreshing/tightening up the front end before then would be a good idea.

Although just passed its mot with no advisories I wondered if anyone can recommend what i should check or replace relatively cheaply (budget of £200 for parts) that could improve it?

cheers

marty

What would tighten things up and take out the slopiness is new bushes on the lower arms ,the top arms would also tighten it up further but your budget does'nt allow for that.The other area that would benefit would be the front strut bushes .If you look at getting these items replaced with oem parts you will see a significant difference

many thanks, i presume its possible to push out and replace the bushes on the lower arms and struts, but not on the top control arms? (have to replace the whole upper arm ?)

i presume also that buying oem bushes from Lexus is preferable to aftermarket manufacturers ? (trying to keep the cost down but don't want to fall into the false economy trap)

m

If you go on the Lexus owners club site in the USA there are tutorials on the bush replacements. If I recall correctly there is some issues with the replacement of the lower arm bushes as an oem part because at the time the tutorial was done they were not available from Lexus and you had to purchase the whole arm.The replacements were aftermarket and I think polypropolene but there are suppliers now who will provide a conventional metal/ rubber bush because the polyprops were noisy .As regards the strut bushes I think they are available as an oem part.You are correct with your analysis of the upper arm and as most people including a few members have discovered it is folly to buy and fit anyting other than genuine Lexus upper arms.

Update just checked eBay USA you can purchase the two bushings required for one arm (genuine Lexus part $135 so x2 put in your shipping and taxes and your roundabout budget ,thats assuming you are doing the work of course.

• 9 months later...

Got that knocking sound when "jabbing" the brakes and pronounced rattling that's been identified as "lower control arm bushes worn out" on my 1998 LS 400 MK4 (121k miles)

Ambermarine - Are the replacement metal/rubber bushes you've seen on US eBay made by ROCA ?

• 3 months later...

Go to dealers and ask for an inspection for £70.

When i took mine in they spent 4 hours on it. They then gave me a tour of all the issues that needed doing. Forget the independent garages dealers know exactly what they are doing and gave expert advice.

Strongly recommend

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links