Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Things To Look For When Buying An Is200

josh-uksc

Hi everyone, currently in the process of finding an IS200 SE or sport and merely wondering is there any particular things I should be aware of or common problems, ive done a fair amount of research on them but wanted hear it from you the owners for any advice??

-Josh

Hard-to-identify creaks, squeaks and grinding noises seem to be common to these cars (see various posts on here relating to suspension issues). A week after buying mine, a horrendous grinding noise appeared on cornering. This turned out to be (after some investigation involving a stethoscope) to be a lower ball joint. Having replaced this and the attached track rod end (the nut connecting them was seized solid, another common issue I believe) the problem was cured and has not returned. Don't let this put you off though, its still a great car! And there is almost always someone here who will help you sort out any issues that my crop up. Good luck, I hope you find a good 'un!

Thank you appreciate it, work in a garage so fittings parts wont be an issue but at least I know a rough idea what to look for, saw an S limted number 201/500 for sale for around £1400 but just wondered what difference there between the limited and an SE or Sport model, sorry for nooby questions im new to the whole lexus thing :)

)

Hi.

There is a guide on here for new buyers.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/69388-what-problems-would-you-advise-others-when-buying-a-is200/?fromsearch=1

In owning two IS's the most common probs I found are:-

Sticking callipers... Prob one of the most common...Check for excessive heat from the wheel after driving and vibration in steering wheel under braking from 50mph+

Lower ball joints... These are a weakness and if they go your wheel literally rips off taking the wing with it and depending at what speed this happens.... well you can imagine... If the car has no history of ball joints being replaced and the mileage is up over 70/80k.. Change them!

Steering wheel vibrations:- vibrations between 45-60mph would normally indicate a wheel balance prob (no biggie) but trust me when I say it can be more than that. My first IS had awful steering wobble... I did balancing, new tyres, new alloys, new lower control arm bushings, new callipers, new brake discs and pads, new track rods... I couldn't cure the steering wobble on that car completely and many others complain of this!

Apart from that they are very good cars. The reliability reputation comes from the engine. If it's been serviced and maintained properly then they're bulletproof. :)

The S model is the base model. You don't want that, no leather etc. some call it poverty spec :lol:

The LE (limited edition) was only available 04/05. Basically they had a unique colour (Kodiak sky) and were fully loaded. Full leather as opposed to half leather... Basically every toy/extra that could be fitted to an IS was fitted to these.

Another limited edition was the yellow rose. Only 50 of these made, they were sport models with full TTE aero kit, aero alloys and they were all yellow!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links