Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc430 Satnav Screen - Up And Over Cover Issue

CraigIson

Hi all.

My cars recently been into a body shop who left the ignition on for the 3 weeks that they had it ... Completely dead Battery!!! ... So they jump started it with a Battery booster. Since this my up and over cover refuses to open!!!

Everything else electrical on the car works fine. The satnav itself still works (The screen comes on and off with the open and close buttons. But the cover refuses to budge unless pushed manually)

They 'Inspected it" As they put it and say that the gateway ECU isn't sending the correct signals to the cover (No idea how they figured this when they only looked at the car for 5 mins to come to this diagnosis!)

We're currently arguing that they have blown the gateway ECU when they jump started it, as it was working perfectly fine before this.

I'm going to attempt to "reboot" the car by disconnecting the Battery for a few hours and pray that this might kick start it back into life (Basic understanding of computers ... If it don't work, REBOOT!)

Has anyone had this problem before?

• 1 month later...

Jump starting the car shouldn't blow anything unless it was done incorrectly.

Did the body shop remove any part of the centre console?

Does the Nav screen still tilt?

I doubt the workshop could have tested the signal/current to the Nav screen door in 5 minutes. I would say it takes experienced hands 15 minutes to get to the sat nav unit. Unless they are Lexus experts checking the wiring diagram might take a bit longer too.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently (After doing a lot more research) it looks like the motor for the up and over motor has given up. A common issue in the states, But i haven't heard of any one in the uk having this issue.

They jumpstarted the car from a completely dead Battery, Not the slightest bit of change left due to them leaving the ignition on for 3 weeks and the boot open (I've left the boot open over night, 6 hours later, not enough to turn it over)

Until i take the sat nav unit out and check myself i just have to open the lid manual (which i don't enjoy doing!!!!)

No it won't tilt due to the door not opening fully.

I dont trust the local lexus dealer's opinion. So I'm having to find out the possibilities my self and then solve it myself

Well if it's the door motor/actuating mechanism it's not too difficult to replace it.

I know there are a few tutorials around already but if you need help with instruction on how to get to it and replace it, let me know.

I have a few pictures and can add a few quick notes for clarity. The gear surround, heater controls and radio unit come out quite easily. The tricky part is pulling off the wood facia on either side for access to the nav unit. There are some concealed screws and then it just pulls off but requires force and control to get it off without breaking the securing tabs.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links