Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Ls400 Mk4 In Need Of A Windscreen

I take it you haven't had any luck getting a replacement one from Autoglass then ?

Assuming that you have windscreen / glass cover included in your insurance policy, if I was in your shoes I would go via this route and pay the excess (£50 or £75)

Hi, thanks for the reply, yeah I would go thru this route, only issue is, I bought the car a few months ago with this smash in the windscreen, in never bothered me at first, then just decided to get it done, so having windscreen cover I called auto glass, who, advised me, that the previous owner didn't have windscreen cover and had got a price on the same car not a year ago off them, which was lodged on the system. Therefore I wasn't covered because I didn't do the damage. Which is fair enough I suppose. They want £375 plus vat to fit. If I can't find a second hand replacement I will have to bite the bullet I suppose :(

To be honest, £375 + VAT for supply and fitting is quite reasonable. The labour alone would easily be £120 / £150 + VAT.

You could always try various breakers yards to source a used windscreen but if it was me, I would bite the bullet and get a new screen.

The risk with buying a used part is that if the condition isn't perfect you could end up with wind noise while you are driving. You could even end up with water leaking into the vehicle if the screen cannot be properly bonded and re-sealed to the car. You can imagine when it rains what havoc that might cause.

Just my opinion though.

Good luck with whateever you decide to do

I think the other glass companies around might be more competitive on price .............. . don't just go for the big names.

Tell them you're paying for it privately too.

But your locality might of course be a limiting factor in availability of indy glass fitters too

Malc

• Like 1

Well I dunno to b honest, I'm a stickler for research so have done a lot in regards to a new windscreen/used windscreen, not seen many with people who are having issues with used screens, obviously I would check the screen first to make sure it is in the best condition possible and would get a professional to fit it. There seems to b a trend with prices for used screens, plus fitting it would come in at under £120, that's a big saving than well over £400 for a brand new one. I'm new to lexus, this ls400 is only a tester to see if I like the car as I usually drive jags, if I do I will probs trade this in and get a later model, possibly the newer one to the mark 4, as they are coming up very cheap at the min :)

I agree with Malcolm about getting some additional quotes - it can't do any harm.

I have sourced used parts before for both my previous LS400 (the Mk IV version) and my current LS430 but with certain parts like braking and windscreens, I would always urge on the side of caution and use new parts.

I use my local garage to maintain my vehicles as Lexus dealers can be expensive on the labour rates now.

Hope you get this sorted out soon enough

Jay, £350+vat is a bargain for a brand new Lexus screen. Lexus would charge you £800 minimum.

Totally agree with Brian on this - as much as I like Lexus dealers compared to other marques, if I can avoid using them I would as their labour rates and mark-ups on some parts is huge to say the least.

As per my previous post, if it was me I wouldn't risk putting in a 2nd hand windscreen and I'd pay for a new unit which is then professionally fitted and ensures that you don't get any water leaks

• Like 1

Hi Jay,

you may wish to try Paul of Glasstec, he may be able to help you and also does an extremely good job - especially in the preparation before and after the windscreen goes in....his attention to detail is second to none. Check the link below:

http://www.glasstecauto.co.uk/index.html

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links