Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bought A Is200 And Engine Light Is On, Any Ideas?

Hi everyone, new here so i say Hi to everyone.

Anyway, bought a 2000 Lexus i200. Seems like its been looked after, body kit added, nice audio, very smart inside and out.

However it has a red warning light constantly on.

Now i have read up on this and its 100% not my brake lights. All lights are working perfect so cant be that.

I cant seem to see anywhere what it might be.

Second thing is, theres a slight hissing noise coming from the right side when steering the wheel (driver side wheel).

Tyres are ok so its not a puncture, only happens on full lock or intermittent when turning.

Dont know if this is related but the steering wheel is also heavy (which is also intermittent). So sometimes feels like the power steering hasnt kicked in.

Could it possibly be a power steering pump issue and possibly thats what the hissing is from on side of wheel? Hope not cause pretty expensive.

Apart from that its fine.

Gone from a Focus MK2 1.4 Titanium to this 2 litre and even though its well older does still pack a punch.

What light is actually on? The handbrake light? looks sorta like this (!) on the bottom left of the dash?

Only three reasons that light stays on

1. Handbrake is on (or switch is broken)

2. Rear brake bulb out including parcel shelf brake light

3. Low brake fluid

Honestly 99 times out of 100 it's the rear parcel shelf brake bulb. Also if the wrong bulbs have been fitted the car thinks a bulb is out so light stay on.

Your lumpy steering could be loose power steering belt, low or poor power steering fluid, dodgy power steering pump, or air in the power steering system.

What light is actually on? The handbrake light? looks sorta like this (!) on the bottom left of the dash?

Only three reasons that light stays on

1. Handbrake is on (or switch is broken)

2. Rear brake bulb out including parcel shelf brake light

3. Low brake fluid

Honestly 99 times out of 100 it's the rear parcel shelf brake bulb. Also if the wrong bulbs have been fitted the car thinks a bulb is out so light stay on.

Your lumpy steering could be loose power steering belt, low or poor power steering fluid, dodgy power steering pump, or air in the power steering system.

Thanks a lot. I have checked the back parcel shelf light and it does work. But i will have to check the actual bulb.

Check to see if the rear brake lights areled or standard type, as the LED will give a fault reading giving you the dash light, you can cut the fault sending wire if you wish to keep the leds, thats what most of us have done.

Hi all, quick update.

Had a mobile mechanic come out who did a diagnostic on his computer.

Turns out the ecu is goosed so needs replacing (was causing the engine light to show up, low engine oil, brake light error, etc), need new power steering pump (causing tight turn on steering) and a switch under car too.

Also repairing a leak in left side of boot (which seems to be a common issue on this model).

So for all that and labour charging me £300 so fingers crossed that's all sorted. Then all I need is 4 new tyres and my car is on the road.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links