Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Modifications Vs Insurance

Hey Guys,
Ive been pondering over the car and my Insurance and i've been thinking i should tell them about the "modifications" that i have or will have.
Ive tried to split it into 4 categories
Required to tell Insurance
Rear Lip
Not Installed/Upgraded Yet but will required to be declared when installed/upgraded
Air Intake Upgrade
Alloy Wheel Size/Style change
Lowering Spring
Grey Area - Unsure
Po-40 Folding Mirror
Illuminated Door Scuff Plate
Window Tints (Rear windows)
NOT Required to tell insurance
Vinyl wrap of the Interior
Interior Lights
Headlamp/fog bulbs
Any response/feedback on this will be greatly appreciated B) and your experience on telling the insurance.

The only answer is to ask your insurance companies any if you need to declare a modification.

I'm general, anything that is not a standard factory fit feature for that trim level may be regarded as a modification; including factory fit options.

bulbs, brake pads, etc. are not generally regarded as modifications if they are E marked, indicating that they are an exact replacement for the original part with identical performance.

It will depend on who your underwriter is. When we used to have 'track bikes' we had them insured. They were heavily modified, but we just made sure we went with an underwriter who was ok with it and listed the lot. Didn't cost us anymore and the only stipulation was that in the event of a claim any aftermarket parts (Eg Full titanium exhaust system) would be replaced with OE system. We were fine with this. I was sceptical making the initial call, but it turned out to be well worth it as I got full cover without any hassle or any premium bump.

The other side of the coin caught a mate out. He kept schtum about the race exhaust on his Ducati. Had an accident on the road where excess speed was considered a factor and found his insurance company didn't want to pay out when they were told the bike had performance mods.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links