Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm Looking To Buy An Is220D. Should I?

I always join the owners club of any car that I buy/want to buy.

This site has shocked me having read all the complaints on what I had presumed was in the elite of quality and reliability.

Now I understand that people are miles more motivated to complain than praise but even still, it seems somewhat lobsided against the 220d.

I guess what I'm asking is should I buy one, and if I do, what should I be looking out for on say an 56/57 reg?

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Hello Mark, I drive a 2006 Lexus is220d and for the past 6 years-ish in my ownership it has been superb.

The basics come to this my friend,

Do you want a decently efficient diesel, relatively cheap to run and looks good but is pretty much the same as everyone elses,

Or do you want a beautifully designed, quiet, motorway mile muncher which is a joy to be in?

The IS220D in my opinion is not really designed to be involved driving, to let the back slide just a little as you take a fast corner trying to beat your home commute time. It is designed to wade gently through miles of motorway as you sink into the luscious seats, 6th gear, tap cruise control and settle down for the journey. It is an excellent car for what it was designed to do and it does it well. Just as any other, it occasionally has some problems but no more than any other car. Think of it like an old man, its all about taking it easy, enjoying the ride, no hurry to get anywhere, if you want the opposite ze germans churn out more than enough of generic m sport, amg replica s line tin cans to choose from :).

Good luck

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

I drive an 09 plate 220d. As C2ESH said, for comfort, quietness and spec level that comes as standard you will not beat it. There are or can be some problems with them just as there can be with any make. No the mpg figures aren't the best for an oil burner but apart from that not really any different from the Germans in terms of running costs. If you decide to buy one, get the best you can with the best service history you can and remember that the "220"d stopped either '09 or '59 and was replaced by the 200d which I think was a detuned version opf the same power unit. I can say that if you do go for one of these, you'll enjoy driving it, get out feeling as fresh as when you got in, and you won't be surrounded by lookalikes.

It will depend on what you're looking for in a car, but my answer will always favour the 250. The petrol option is better sounding, more powerful, more reliable and almost as fuel efficient. It's a bit more expensive to run when you consider tax and insurance, but the worries about head gaskets and DPF regeneration put me off diesels in general, not just the IS.

Thanks guys, feel a bit more reassured.

I dont do many miles a year but dont fancy the tax/insurance of the petrol.

I'm currently driving an Alfa GT so I'm used to having a few little problems here and there.

It seem 5k gets a really nice 57 plate Lexus these days which seems great value.

I'm in no hurry so will be keeping my eyes open for one I think.

I'm currently driving an Alfa GT so I'm used to having a few little problems here and there.

It seem 5k gets a really nice 57 plate Lexus these days which seems great value.

I've not seen any decent petrol ones for £5k. That the same year as mine, and the ones which come up that cheap have been a bit rough IMO. I'd ballpark 6-6.5k depending on condition, more with some toys. I took a quick look on Autotrader, and £5k buys you a Cat D, or a high mileage example, although the 220D is a fair amount cheaper.

When I was looking I was amazed how many had super cheap chinese tyres on. Quite what the owners were thinking I have no idea, but I walked away from a few like that. If you are so cheap / poor that you make that decision I don't want to waste my time fixing what you've ruined on the rest of the car. It's a really easy thing to check, and tells you a lot about the owner.

If you take a look at one, check the avg mpg it's done. Dealers may have disconnected the Battery in which case it'll not be helpful, but if not then look for 30+ from the IS250 and 35+ from the IS220D for a start. Check other threads for how much other people are seeing and you'll soon get a feeling for when you're looking at a car with problems.

i would be wary of trying to blag a bargain lexus in that year for 5k, more often that not them cars dont turn out to be bargains at all.

running costs on the 250 are meh, its not exactly an oil tanker to run. its no worse to me than the 2.4 accord i had previously.

If you don't do many miles I would test drive both. The tax/insurance over the year is hardly any different. The 250 petrol auto is more of a 'Lexus' experience.

Know what you mean about Alfa problems I've had two Brera's :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links