Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kerbed Alloy!

AlanMitch

I'm going to 'fess up to a totally stupid thing I've done!!!! (I should point out I'm an Institute of Advanced Motorists member and as such should know better!!!!!!!). I've kerbed on of my black Zenga alloys (yes, I know, dooh!).

My only excuse is that I'm not used to low profile tyres like the 17" ones on my Advance. I was wondering if there's a particular shade of grey that will do a good covering job. Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks in advance (no pun intended)

Alan

Cant help you with the colour shade but don't be too hard on yourself. I only drive our CT at week ends since I use another car to commute these days, however, I did notice that I mildly scuff the CT tyres about once a month whereas I just don't scuff or kerb my commuter at all. I suspect that it is because of the orientation of the wheels / body shape. My CT alloys remain in good condition and the last time I changed the tyres the side walls were also in good condition from the inside as well as the outside. My car has the 16" wheels. I am also an IAM member and scold myself for forgetting the width of CT track is wider in relation to the bodywork than my commuting hack.

Interesting topic. I've been driving for over 40 years and have had very few accidents but in the 18 months since getting my CT I've scraped the passenger side of the car twice when turning corners in car parks! Is there something about the CT wheel track that I can blame or is it just me being careless in my old age?

• Like 1

I managed to kerb one of my alloys soon after getting the car on a pothole. Since then I have had at least two occasions when I have heard the stomach churning scrape of a wheel on the kerb only to find when I have inspected it I seem to have got away with it, must have been scraping the tyre.

Kerbing alloys will always happen. There seems to be a lot of concern over kerbed alloys and getting them fixed or insuring them. Does it make that much difference to the value of the car at trade in time? If they were really bad you could buy a new set of alloys or get them repaired just before trading in. I don't see the point in fixing a kerbed alloy only to do it again a few weeks later.

On another note. I am also IAM. There seem to be a lot of us on the forum.

Hi again, everyone. Thanks for all the helpful, supportive remarks. I think a little touch-up tin of black paint (I said grey before - double dooh, they're definitely black!) is what's called for until trade-in time.

Good to hear from fellow IAM members. Perhaps Lexuses (or is the plural Lexi, hehehe?) fit the profile of an IAM driver?

Alan

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links