Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

here is what happened:

1)GS300 (2001) has had wind noise since we bought it (2001).

2) Finally got dealer to agree there was a problem. Service manager checked with regional lexus. Lexus agreed to fix.

3) Was told windshield would be replaced with a new Lexus windshied.

4) Broughr car in for repair. Windshield was replaced. But it windshield was not a lexus windshield.

5) Repair of windshield was done by local windshield shop.

6) New windshield fixed wind noise problem.

Here is the question. New windshield is not a lexus windshield. Is this typical that they would not use a lexus part (windshield) to fix the problem? If so, should i complain?

thanks for the help.

Welcome to the club.

2 ways to look at this....

1. If you're happy with it stopping the windnoice and it looks ok then stick with it. Maybe the Lexus one looks the same.

2. If you think you have been conned then definitely complain and get Lexus to fit a standard windshield.

You could always query this with Lexus GB to see what they say.

I've never heard of the GS having a windnoice problem, and I haven't seen many MKII with windshields on.

Wind noise is quite common on the series II GS. Normally it's either through the door seals, mirror or sunroof however mine had a problem with the windscreen.

It took me three attempts telling my dealer the noise was through the windscreen before they agreed. The screen was just taken out and refitted, no need for a new screen. My dealer also didn't do the fitted, they took it to a local company.

Don't know if you should complain about the screen not being a Lexus one. I wouldn't want the hassle of getting it replaced again.

Make sure the security marks have been put on the screen though.

I recently took mine in for it's first service mentioning a wind noise appearing to come from the top of the drivers door. I had reported this shortly after picking the car up new, but had decided to wait till the first service to avoid messing about!

When I picked up the car I was told the two mile spin the "mechanic" had taken the car revealed no wind noise!

I explained I had had a previous GS without this noise and asked who they should believe bearing in mind I drive this car for hours each day up and down various roads/motorways in differing conditions! Just got a hard blank stare!

My advice would be - if it's stopped the noise and looks Ok it should be OK as the windscreen people have to use a part of a good standard and often know what they are doing rather than leaving to the Lexus "technicians"

My wind noise would be worse some days than others. Also when wet the water seemed to plug the gap. When it was bad I could press the top corner of the windscreen hard and it would reduce the noise so I knew it wasn't fitted correctly.

Get back down to your dealer Glyn and demand they look at it again.

Cheers Colin

I just get so fed up of their blank stares when I say something isn't right!

I'm waiting for them to come back on a paintwork claim as the paint on the front spoiler is coming off - about 2inches mising at the front. I also pointed out the paint seems prone to chipping on the bonnet where as the last one - after 30K -was still in very good order. It's annoying becasue it spoils an otherwise good car.

Thanks for the info though, I decided not to sell it for now but I do fancy an RX still!!

Could be the case as this one seems to chip off easily, particularly on the plastic spoiler.

Your right the Hybrid looks very interesting. But I can imagine them charging a premium for it. I have avoided trying the new RX as I fell in love with the last one. Pity they don't do the V8 in one as that would be extremely tempting! ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links